HP micro/test batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owlandbear

Reaction score
Hi there! First time poster ...

The Scientific Soapmaking book provides a method for making a one-bar test batch using the cold process method. I would really like to make a one-bar test batch of a HP recipe I found. However, it seems unworkable given the large volume of a crockpot.

Does anyone know of a method to make a 1-2 bar microbatch using the hot process method? Perhaps using a double boiler?

TIA.

I have a tiny little crockpot, holds about 2 cups. You should be able to find one on amazon or at walmart. A double boiler or even a microwave would work but be careful not to burn the soap.

Interesting. On a related note, can you use a liner in the crockpot to make the soap, so that you can still use it for food in the future? Or is that pushing the envelope too far?

Interesting. On a related note, can you use a liner in the crockpot to make the soap, so that you can still use it for food in the future? Or is that pushing the envelope too far?
Only if you don't mix up your ingredients in the pot: the stick blender will grab the liner. But, I have mixed oils, lye, etc in a mixing bowl and then poured it into my lined crock.

I’m glad to hear that! I had read elsewhere that once an item is used for soap it can never be used for cooking or anything else...

Depends on what the item is. I would never use plastic/silicone for food after making soap. The fragrance gets into it and it won't wash completely out. Even after running my silicone tools through the dishwasher, they smell like FO.

The bigger problem I see is more about the accuracy of your weighing. If you do not have a scale that weighs to 0.01 gram, I question whether you can weigh accurately enough to get consistent results.

I agree. I have a precision centigram scale on order.

My goal is to start soaping without ending up with dozens of bars laying around curing and waiting to be used. I have major space constraints at the moment!

I agree. I have a precision centigram scale on order.

My goal is to start soaping without ending up with dozens of bars laying around curing and waiting to be used. I have major space constraints at the moment!

All well and good, as long as you understand that using Hot Process does not speed cure.

Back