My first flop...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle

Reaction score
I should have known I was due for a mishap eventually, after 2 years years of smooth sailing! Plus with my preggie brain, there’s really no telling anymore...

I decided to try a brand new recipe based on Nerdy Barn Wife’s Calendula Soap

https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/calendula-soap/

I subbed out the sunflower oil for avocado oil as that is what I had on hand. Also didn’t do the tea/infused water as I just plain forgot. My olive oil had already been infusing in Calendula flowers for a month or so.

The recipe after running through SoapCal: (set at 6% superfat, water as percentage of oil weight 38%, total oils 1kg)

Olive Oil (50%) 500g
Coconut Oil (33%) 330g
Avocado Oil (12%) 120g
Castor Oil (5%) 50g
Water 380g
Lye 141g

3Tbs Calendula flowers

So obviously I decided to go big or go home with nice big batch - cos what could go wrong? [emoji38]

I did take extra care with my measurements due to preggie brain, so 97% sure that quantities were correct...

I mixed up the lye and water leaving it to cool slightly while I melted my coconut oil and mixed the rest of the oils together.

Adding everything together and mixed alternately with a SB and hand whisk for around 15 minutes... eventually it came to what I believed to be a light trace (though not sure anymore).

At this point I separated it into 2 bowls, and to 2/3 of the mix I added an additional Tbs of Calendula infused oil (as per Nerdy Farm Wife) mixed with 2 tsp turmeric powder to do a layer/swirl in the mound.

This went into the mound first and was topped with the lighter mix.

I wrapped my mould as usual in cardboard and a blanket (more for protection from nosy cats as ambient temperature is around 180°C - 27°C)

Kept peeking, but noticed no change that night. By the next day, there had been major transformation! The lovely creamy coloured top layer had turned green and translucent ( gel phase - good?!) but the whole mould appeared to be swimming in oil... ☹️

I left it for a few more days and cut a slice and did a zap test. Nothing noticeable zapwise, but texture still only slightly firmer than a butter.
Interesting, when I washed up the bowls/ utensils the next day, the remnants were still the lovely cream colour, had firmed up and created a nice lather when I scrubbed... I also tested a piece of the soap and it lathers beautifully - albeit with a bar that is mouldable in my hands

Where did I go wrong my dear soap gurus? False trace? Overheating? Does it just need more time to cure?

And most importantly - can this be fixed just be rebatching/cooking it?

( the first pic shows day 3 when I removed it from the mould, second pic a week later )

IMG_1421.jpgIMG_1425.jpg

Assuming you didn't have a measurement error, I'm thinking the issue might be using a too generous amount of water (27% lye concentration), a high oleic blend of fats (the avocado + olive), and insulating with a blanket during warm weather.

I'd try two things -- reduce the water content for this type of recipe and maybe not insulate quite so much when the weather is warm.

You'll get more consistency in your soaping if you get away from using water as % of oils and start using either water:lye ratio or lye concentration. I'd probably set this type of recipe to use 33% lye concentration (2.0 water:lye ratio).

I get the issue of the cats (I have 4), but maybe you could just cover the mold with a piece of cardboard and put the mold on a shelf out of jumping range?

As far as this batch goes, I think I would let it cure -- it will probably be fine with a good dose of patience.

Thank you - that is very helpful.
I thought it may have been unwise to just use the SoapCalc standard settings without giving it proper thought - especially considering how much I have read on this forum regarding the water ratio. Lesson learned!

Thank you - that is very helpful.
I thought it may have been unwise to just use the SoapCalc standard settings without giving it proper thought - especially considering how much I have read on this forum regarding the water ratio. Lesson learned!

If you didn't replace the water with tea how do you account for the dark brown base? Just the tumeric? I don't get the extra Tbsp of oil at trace for a CP soap in the recipe.

From the looks of the photo It doesn't look like she used it in her soap either although she says she did.

I'd just wait and use it as is after a long cure.

I'm not the final answer on problems like this, but that's what I would try if I were you. Rebatching is always an option, but I don't like doing it -- I'd much rather wait and see than do the work! ;)

I have had accidentally overheated soap turn out super oily like that, but it did eventually re-absorb although it did still feel quite oily to the touch, even though I only use 3% SF. Coincidentally, it also included calendula-infused OO (40% of the recipe.) I had also used a spicy FO that I believe also contributed to the problem. When I say 'eventually' it was a couple of months just sitting in a container awaiting either improvement or rebatch. I did end up re-batching because I hated the fragrance.

If you didn't replace the water with tea how do you account for the dark brown base? Just the tumeric? I don't get the extra Tbsp of oil at trace for a CP soap in the recipe.

From the looks of the photo It doesn't look like she used it in her soap either although she says she did.

I'd just wait and use it as is after a long cure.

Yes - just the turmeric. My olive oil was also quite green.

Latest posts

Back