Body Butter with Arrowroot Powder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellador

Reaction score
So, I made a batch of body butter today, and I think in the past, I've included the arrowroot powder in the oils as they heated. This time, I forgot and just whipped them into the mix with the fragrance and vitamin E. But, the butter is grainy now, like it didn't dissolve.
What's the best way to fix this? Melt everything back down and try again? Can I add more vitamin E and/or fragrance? Are these the only things that will be affected by the heat?

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the recipe...and meant to mention that I added cyclomethicone. I've heard this is a heat sensitive product, but I wasn't sure if this is because it evaporates or if it shouldn't be reheated.

239 g shea butter
17 g cocoa butter
17 g mango butter
7 g jojoba oil
26 g rice bran oil
26 g soybean oil
3.4 g vit E
3.4 g FO
1.5 g cyclomethicone
1 tsp arrowroot

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have had to deal with the grainy nature of shea butter before, but more than anything, I'm wondering how reheating, cooling, and re-whipping the butters will affect the original recipe. Will any ingredient be diminished or changed? Is it advised or should I just make a new batch?

I don't see anything in your recipe that would denigrate due to reheating. Should be fine. :thumbup:

The cyclomethicone will probably evaporate in part or entirely. Info from a google search leads me to believe that right around room temp is it's 'boiling point', the point where it vaporizes.

The cyclomethicone will probably evaporate in part or entirely. Info from a google search leads me to believe that right around room temp is it's 'boiling point', the point where it vaporizes.
Good catch, K! I was thinking "dimethecone" :oops: which I use sometimes in lotion -- heated to 170°F, no worries.

Latest posts

Back