PVC toy embed in CP soap trial

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
Prompted by this thread, I decided to see if small PVC toys can be safely embedded in cold process soap. Soap is unscented, and the part with the toys is uncolored as well.

Here are the toys in soap, and my excess that I decided to play with some more of my new micas with. I also decided to cut one liner out of a silicone baking mat and try it out. I'll see how it does before I cut any more liners.

pokeembeds1-1691.jpg

Close up. The cavities in this mold are about 1.25 inches square. It's a silicone ice tray that I don't like the shape of the cubes it makes, and the toys fit fairly neatly, without a lot of extra space. Since I'm going to be cutting the toys out of the soap at monthly intervals to see how they're faring, I didn't want lots of extra soap around them.

pokeembeds2-1692.jpg

The toys took about a third of the batter. I made pretty swirlies with the rest of it. Copper sparks and bronze brown mica powder and black onyx mineral glitter.

pokeembeds3-1693.jpg

do you have updated pictures after unmolding? What happened? Did the toys sink or float?

I am interested in this :)

Thanks for reminding me. I just cut the first toy out of the soap. Here's a pic showing it before, during and the toy after. The toy doesn't seem to be any worse for wear, and only a tiny bit of red bled into the soap from the paint that I could see. The toys stayed put in the soap, but then they were in tiny little molds. They'll possibly sink in larger volumes, if the soap isn't at thick trace.

toy-embed-trial-10-17-1714.jpg

very cool! And is good to know. I use them often on MP

You have to be careful with that red paint. Most red paint from a certain year (I think prior 2008) if coming from china, has lead.

Update! Second toy is out of the soap, and doesn't look really any the worse for the experience. There was no color bleeding on this one (also not much red paint, which I suspect will the be worst for bleeding).

poketoynov1-1740.jpg

poketoynov2-1741.jpg

poketoynov3-1742.jpg

poketoynov4-1743.jpg

Next toy will be removed from the soap in another month, stay tuned for the results.

Is there a reason you want to embed toys in cp soap. When my daughter was making her melt & pour I always had soaps with embeds for the kids and they love them, but the best part was their being able to see the toy inside the soap. Some of the mothers would tell us that the kids would ask for a bath.

Is there a reason you want to embed toys in cp soap. When my daughter was making her melt & pour I always had soaps with embeds for the kids and they love them, but the best part was their being able to see the toy inside the soap. Some of the mothers would tell us that the kids would ask for a bath.

I think embedded toys is a neat idea, and wanted to see if it would work for CP soap.

If you leave a tiny piece poking out it solves the visibility thing. When I was a kid I remember a soap with a sponge in the middle, you couldnn't see the sponge until you used the soap for a while-i was the cleanest kid on the block!

Back