Less soap scum with homemade/natural soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any soapscum in my tiled showers. (I have a house with hard water, and another with soft water, no diff.)
Maybe it is because I never use hair-conditioner? or
Maybe SOL in soap prevent soap-scum?

I end up cleaning a lot of antique razors and soap scum on those is ridiculous. Scrubbing Bubbles eats it like candy (ew!). So, that's what I use in my sink and shower now.

That being said I had an occasion to try IL's shaving soap for the last few days and there was no residue ... if she tells you how she does that, listen! :thumbup:

I end up cleaning a lot of antique razors and soap scum on those is ridiculous. Scrubbing Bubbles eats it like candy (ew!). So, that's what I use in my sink and shower now.

That being said I had an occasion to try IL's shaving soap for the last few days and there was no residue ... if she tells you how she does that, listen! :thumbup:

If the secret is the clay, I'm growing a beard!

I do not believe in that OP. Even commercial soaps leave soap scum. Sodium citrate helps and SL I think help too. Soft water would be the key

That being said I had an occasion to try IL's shaving soap for the last few days and there was no residue ... if she tells you how she does that, listen!

Lee is correct- it's not clay (I would not have dared to send him a shave soap with clay in it without having a will written up, lol) It is actually an ancient Irish secret :shh: If I told you...well....you know what they say. :mrgreen:

Well... okay.... no, not really. ;) It's nothing more than tetrasodium EDTA @ .5% of my total batch weight. It really works wonders at cutting down on the scum.

IrishLass :)

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread earlier, I don't do anything special to my soaps, all are CP. for about 3 months I used 100% castile. Before I was using Ivory for a number of years.

Unless someone is coming in and cleaning, then this isn't a joke :). The water hasn't changed either.

IDK what the deal is. I thought I would see a lot of other people agreeing with me about this. I have a feeling that it might have been the soap I was using before.

Back