Need a recipe for these ingredients please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapsoup

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to soapmaking and have just used all my coconut oil up in one batch that I made with tea tree oil and it's looking good! I want to make some more soap but only have the following:

Palm oil
Olive oil
Lard
Hemp oil
Neem oil
Oats
Honey
Cocoa butter
I also have some other oils to mix in;
Tea tree oil
Argon oil

I would like to make something that will cure quickly if possible as one of the reasons I got into soapmaking is to help with my eczema so I know what goes into the soap I use and I'm about to run out of soap so instead of having to buy more it would be good if I could start using my own from now on.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
soapsoup

Posted:
September 10, 2014 • 08:42 AM

Looks good, can we get the recipe? I make beer too :)
"one of the reasons I got into soapmaking is to help with my eczema"

You can use the recipe you have just substitute some of the water with evaporated/boiled down beer that's what I do. Have fun and good luck.

Last edited:
I would do 45% olive oil, 45% lard and 10% neem. If you want to use the soap sooner, you could hot process it - meaning you cook your soap in a double boiler or a crockpot. I have never made oatmeal, honey and tea tree soap, but there's no reason you couldn't. You will need to use the food processor to get your oats very fine, though.

So would this work out fine? I adjusted it to 15% superfat.

Would the lye and water amounts be right for this?

yowP9nC.png

Soapcalc is reliable, so the lye and water amounts are fine.

Is there a reason you are doing a 15% superfat? Some soapers do that regularly, but it's a bit on the high side.

Not really. It was set to 20% by default and I thought that was a bit high so notched it down a bit. What would be better? I do have dry skin.

Hmmm.. just clicked "reset all" on the calc and it went down to 5%. Maybe it was remembering something from a previous thing I entered in there.

OK, I'll give that recipe a shot but with 10% superfat. If I'm adding oats, would I need to adjust the recipe at all or can I just throw a handful in?

Looking at that recipe, I'd be tempted to leave it at 5%. I would also pop 2 tblsp sugar in there, as you aren't likely to get a bubble lather without it. It will make the soap heat up a lot, but nothing too bad.

Dissolve the sugar in your water fully before adding the lye, then use it as usual.

ETA - I would also be tempted to put some salt or sodium lactate in there to help firm things up.

I think a tbs of fine ground oats per pound of the oils you are using would be a good place to start. I add this at light trace. You don't want the lye water to cook your oats.

Brilliant, thank you dixiedragon and The Efficacious Gentleman! I shall do just that!

Ah my coconut oil arrived today just as I was just about to make this one up!

So seeing as though I have coconut oil now, would it be more beneficial for this recipe to add/replace some in? I would like to use some of my cocoa butter too if possible but my goal still remains to make soap that would be the best for my skin condition.

I would leave out sugar from this batch as you are using beer. You've cut the super fat down so that reduces the need for sugar which imo would compromise this batch. Ground oats in batch a few solid oats sprinkled on top would feel good and look nice. Using dark or light beer?

I'm not using beer in this batch! That post was a reply to me in another thread with a pic of the beer soap. (I can't seem to find it any more.)

This is just my opinion, but if you are not using any coconut oil or palm kernel oil I would not go over 4% superfat. You are going to find it just will not rinse of well with a high superfat and 0 coconut oil. At 0 cleansing I would superfat at 2% and just measure correctly. I am not trying to start any debates over superfatting. I use low coconut oil and low superfat in my soaps other than my men's soaps which I up the cleansing number for my mainly men soaps

Well I have loads of coconut oil now so can use as much as I like! I'm just not sure what to make now. I just want something that I can use fairly quickly that will be good for my very dry skin.

Regardless of what recipe you make you will still want to give it a good cure. The longer the cure the better the soap. Especially if you have dry skin. I just wouldn't exceed 15% in your case.

Well I have loads of coconut oil now so can use as much as I like! I'm just not sure what to make now. I just want something that I can use fairly quickly that will be good for my very dry skin.
If you want something non drying then design a soap recipe with low lauric and mystric acid. I like to keep the cleansing number around 8-10 for gentle soaps. As Shunt stated they all need to cure even hp soap. It is certainly safe to use after it no longer zaps but you will not experience the best the bar can be after a nice cure

If you want something non drying then design a soap recipe with low lauric and mystric acid. I like to keep the cleansing number around 8-10 for gentle soaps. As Shunt stated they all need to cure even hp soap. It is certainly safe to use after it no longer zaps but you will not experience the best the bar can be after a nice cure

Alright, well I put this together on this soap calc http://naturalsoapboutique.com/soapcalculator/ then copied it to the forum soap calc.

It shows as low mystric and lauric and I tried to adjust it to make it optimal on the INS slider, whatever that is :)

coconut 200g
olive 220g
palm 400g
cocoabutter 90g
water 346g
lye 129g

Oils Total 910g
Soap weight before CP cure or HP cook 1385g

Last edited:
I would up the Olive and lower the palm oil (switch the amounts). As your conditioning is pretty low. I would also add sugar for more bubbles unless you have some castor oil. What superfat are you using? I would go 5-6%. You could also drop the CO a bit and up the CB a little more though 15 cleansing isn't bad it may be too high for sensitive skin.

Latest posts

Back