Salt bar dilemma

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombus

Reaction score
So I've poured my first salt bar, and I have read in several threads that It should be cut within 2 hours. It has been that long and it is doing it's gel thing- quite hot to the touch. Do I cut it anyway?

Yep, if it is firm enough, I would cut it, even if it is hot. Otherwise it'll get very hard very quickly! (ahem)

Thanks for your response!

Yea- well, I knew at 11pm no-one would be up to answer my question, but I felt a little panicky, so had to reach out-
somehow I felt the quiet support.

I did cut it right after I posted the message, it was still quite hot, but did not have the typical gel look of transparency.
It cut fine and I recovered it with a towel. This morning I could bevel the edges pretty well. I will post a picture.

I had some leftover and poured it in some molds, but the details held on to the salt and didn't unmold perfectly.
Oh well, guess I'm forced to use them as testers :D

I am actually very pleased with my result.

Good for you Bombus.
I would love to see your pics!
Salt bars are notorious for crumbling when cutting, and you're right, it's hard to get detailsj in those bars. Individual moulds work well for salt bars though because you don't have to cut them. But I think the results are well worth the aggravation because I love salt bars, I think they are lovely on the skin, and they keep getting better and better with time.

want to see the pics too! I have been threatening to make a salt bar for the last 2 weeks - havent had the nerve, I'm too scared to fail! Yours might serve as inspiration! Well done anyway!

I'm trying to be a good girl and post pics where they belong- in the photo forum is where you will find them. :)

Back