A little guidance please...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJA

Reaction score
I'm about to attempt a salt bar again, and my brain is not functioning. I wanna make sure I don't screw this up again. I know we've covered this ad nauseum, but bear with me, please. This is the simple recipe:

25 oz. coconut
5 oz. of castor
5 oz. shea butter

20% superfat.

Does this look ok? How much salt should I use. Ugh. Math hurts my brain. Do you calculate how much salt you need by the total recipe or total oils?

Thanks guys, as always.

You should calculate salt as a percentage of oils, whether that be 50%(my favorite) or higher.

(I am searching for this answer on the internet too) but...

I got the thing in the oven. Preheated to 170, and shut it off. I remember Kitn telling me to check it in a hour and cut it while it's still warm. What am I looking for to tell me it's ready to be cut?

LJA I did mine CP and I used 75% of the weight of my oils for salt. My log mold is too big to fit into the oven and it took almost 24 hours before it was ready to cut....I know that others who HP are ready to cut way sooner like 45 minutes.

Lindy said:
LJA I did mine CP and I used 75% of the weight of my oils for salt. My log mold is too big to fit into the oven and it took almost 24 hours before it was ready to cut....I know that others who HP are ready to cut way sooner like 45 minutes.

Lindy, is it just to "touch"? It feels hard, so cut it? I'm about a half hour in and it looks like it's in a full gel at the moment. I'm keeping an eye peeled. I used "Madagascar" EO blend. Whew. I sure hope that sucker mellows out because it's a nose fulla stank right now. :shock:

They're out and cut. So far so good. A litle oily on the outside but they're still warm too. If I get Amityville soap again, I'm gonna cut a bit....er...nevermind. :wink:

Back