An interesting blog post about making your own mp base. Only glycerin is needed.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What % of glycerin did you use? With this soft oils I would start at 20%....
I have soap batch with too much glycerin- it's soft ... 4 years later. I was cooking 2 batches and accidentally dump 2 cups with glycerin in only one of them. Soap have nice smell, bubbles and creaminess. It was on drying rack "forewer". Last year I put it in burlap bags and give away as gifts. Some of it I keep in the card box, it's not sweaty after time only soft. Just look at it - soft like play doh. My lil one was baby and I don't have time to re-cook it with something else.
I'm recommended to make some 100% coconut soap and mix it with this soap after gel phase. Melted first. Maybe I should do the same with my lil leftovers....
I'm really like castor oil near 20% in this type soaps. If you don't use palm or babassu increase coconut to 15-20%. Olive oil, shea butter, rice braine, non GMO Canola, non GMO not hydrogenated soy, jojoba, almond, apricot, grape seed, Cocoa and avocado butter working great in this one for me.
I made my first soaps with pork fat and sunflower oil, at that time coconut and palm was alien for me. I want good soap, and i don't have too many choices in the store. Horrible laundry soap made with dogs or irritating strawberry. I don't like sunflower oil in soap, same as corn (maybe because I grew up on them).

Do you think I could add the stearic acid now or is it too late?

I used 100% oil weight of glycerin. You think if I made another batch of 100% coconut oil soap and add this in it would work?

I suppose I could divide it up and experiment with the smaller portions to see what works best.

Thanks for all the help, this was my first HP so I didn't really know what I was doing anyway!

Alaska Beauty-is it just the addition of glycerin that allows it to melt? So ideally as long as you HP and add at least 20% glycerin you would have MP? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Technically any soap can be melted but for most of it you need very high temperature. If you take regular CP bar and place it in airtight fireproof dish over the heat- it will melt with time. Extra Glycerin just helping this process to go quicker and on lower temp. Traditional homemade soap has at least 5% of glycerin inside it from saponification process to support melting.
20% is regularly a good start. You can always add more, but you can't extract glycerin back at home. I'm adding 10-20% to my castile soaps. I don't like 100% it's always soft and tacky. My clear was done with 75%. I think 80% is max for me, but I saw nice soaps at 100% -most of them done with a lot of palm 35-50%.
Your soap has it's own overfat sou I don't think stearic acid or wax at this point will make a trick. But you can try with very small amount. One of beauty of this soap that you can add a lil bit of something at small amount. Yes it's home made M&P without yaks.

So I did coconut and palm+palm cannel. Coconut was still to soft, palm was not soft but not runny. Ending mix them together. Original soap has lavender buds and EO, plus wonderful Madagascar vanilla infusion and goat milk. Smells heavenly but not the best color.Nice ugly soap for felted bags. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1394903233.552068.jpg ImageUploadedBySoap Making1394903936.039945.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1394904976.682988.jpg

I had decided to try this - using the bloggers recipe (not the Russian woman's cp recipe) and probably 75% glycerin.

This is for an elementary school project, where student invent something, make a demo of it, advertise then pretend to sell it.

Our little girl choose to make soap with toys in it, and why make a "demo" model of it when we can make a useable product she can have when we're done.

I've made a dozen successful batches of cp and hp soap, but never mp.

Using this cp +glycerin recipe, how do we cure or wrap or whatever when we're done molding this with embedded toys?

Can anyone see any problems with using for a school project....where the soap will be displayed for people to look at and handle? Plus, we'll want to bring it home and use later, so we want it to be viable soap.

Thanks for your input; I really don't want to waste ingredients, or take dd through a disappointing process!

Latest posts

Back