Crockpot soy candle troubleshooting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandi

Reaction score
I used this wax:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008I3U09C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

These wicks:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092RN1C6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I heated the wax in mason jars in my crockpot. The instructions seemed simple enough but the candles keep going out. It looks like the wax is pooling around the wick and causing it.

This is the first time Ive made candles. There is just barely a flame and it goes out within 30 min. I would like to make more maybe I should get proper equipment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you can give us more information its a bit hard to troubleshoot, there are lots of variables in making candles.

What size diameter are the candles you are making ?
How much fragrance did you add ?
The wicks only say they are large, they don't give a number on them.
Did you use a thermometer ? What temp did you pour at ?

I went by really vague instructions. The wax melted in the 12 ounce mason jars in the crockpot on low. After they melted I added crayons, stirred. I let them melt further and turned crockpot off and added fragrance oils..placed wicks in steadying them with clothespins.

I didnt know I needed to let them get a certain temp. I also did not glue the wick to the bottom.

They are melting straight down and the wax is just causing them to go out.

They are about 3 inches in diameter and I used 2 ounces of fragrance each.

I've never heard of Milliard Wax but from what I can tell with a search, it looks like repackaging/craft store name for Golden Brands soy wax. I've only tried GB's 416 for tarts and had a horrible time getting that to unmold so I just gave up on GB waxes. I like the EcoSoya because I can get a great hot and cold throw (in tarts) with just 6% FO (1 oz per pound of wax).

Agreed, your wicks don't give an actual wick size on them. I suggest visiting CandleScience's website itself and using the Wick Guide to see what size wick they suggest http://www.candlescience.com/learning/wick-guide.php

As suggested have a look at Candlescience's website, use the wick guide to tell you what you need for the diameter. One problem could be you used crayons to colour, you need colours especially for candles. Its best to anchor your wick, you can use a glue gun for that, its also better to measure the temp and not just melt.

If you used crayons for coloring your wick could be clogged. (which sounds like it could be one of the determining factors)
Also, without knowing the exact size of the wick used, there is no way to determine if the wick is too small for the container or not.

I would suggest that if this is something that you would like to pursue that you get proper instructions, right sized wicking and the right ingredients for candlemaking. It not only will make it easier on you, but also safer. Candlemaking is more than melting wax, sticking a wick in it and hoping it burns right.

The best way (IMO) to determine if this is something you may want to do, is to get a kit from a reputable candlemaking supply company such as Peak or NG. I'm sure there are others out there, but these two are the first ones that come to mind.

http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Candle-Making-Kits.aspx

http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/category.cgi

I just wanted to add that 2 ounces of fragrance per candle is way to much. Typically it's 1 oz per pound. Too much fragrance will clog your wick as well. You also need to make sure that you're using fragrances that are safe for use in candles.

I used 1 oz of fragrance oil for a 12 ounce mason jar. Im so mad at myself for using crayons. Money wasted. Can I turn these into tarts? What do you use to melt your tarts?

I just bought a candle warmer/tart burner at Walmart for $10-$15. Mine works great and I didn't feel the need to spend $40 like what Scentsy charges, bleh.

I have seen these instructions to just "make" candles in a crock pot and I have to laugh. Melt wax in the jars and just drop in the fragrance and voila candles!

I wish it were that easy, but it is a process, and it's a process for a reason.

Your wicks are ECO-12 according to the small print in the link, and that is a large wick and yes, candles will clog a wick toot-sweet! Plus, just pouring the fragrance into the jar isn't going to get it properly combined with the wax.

Yes, you can scoop it out of the jar and just put into an electric wax warmer to make use of it.

In the future I would recommend reading and following the instructions from one of the major suppliers with clean cut instructions. Candle Science, Peak's Candle Supply or Candlewic. They all have great supplies and great customer service.

You can never read too much! Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back