Mold Karma! (Cheap mold inside!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoptapitbull

Reaction score
I posted a few days ago about being screwed by a seller on ebay for a faulty mold. Well, karma has come back to me in a great way!

My brother is buying his first home (my grandmother's home...can't wait to be inside it again :) ) and I wanted to buy him some housewarming gifts. I was looking around the kitchen section when I came across this product:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Kit ... t/15231393

What do you see when you look at it? I see gifts for my brother, and a PERFECT mold for me!! It was only $19.97!

Went home and soaped a batch and eureka...it's absolutely perfect! Made a superfat soap with shea and cocoa butter with GM and less than 24 hours after I popped it in the freezer, it came right out! I did spray with nonstick first, but still.

I just tried cutting it and it kind of fell apart, I think because I left it in the freezer so long. I popped it into the fridge where I think it'll set up just fine.

001.jpg

The silver there is duct tape from where I tried to break the mold into separate molds, and needless to say I was not successful.

002.jpg

Too cold, I believe....kinda cut like chocolate does when it's too hard or frozen.

003-1.jpg

A little ticked at the color. The purple dye I used ended up brownish red. I think it was due to the GM and all the extra fats. But it smells great (lavender), the swirl is nice, and it didn't zap me :)

Back to doing my happy dance now...

Such a creative mind! :D So glad you found a mold you like that works great!

The soap turned out great! Doesn't look so hot in this photo taken last night because it was still soft and freshly cut. This morning it looks great...hardened nicely and is turning light purple as I wanted it to. And the basement smells wonderful!

006-1.jpg

It's hard plastic, but very thin (cheap) plastic. I made another soap today, just a regular GM, not super fat and it came out just as easily as the SF soap. I pop it in the freezer for 18-24 hours and it comes right out.

And another bonus...my soap turned purple, just what I was going for in the first place! lol

Is it normal for dyes to start out one color and end up back at where they should be?

004.jpg

I have just a bit of ash on them, but strangely enough I like it! It looks like fairy dust or something. A newbie mistake, although not a big deal to me. I'm still happy :)

Latest posts

Back