help needed bb not setting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plummh14

Reaction score
Please help I'm new to bath bomb making and I'm on my 2nd batch but they are going like sticky sand in molds after 12 hours. I'm using 1cup baking soda 1/2 cup citric acid 1/2 cup Epsom salts 1 tsp olive oil 1 tsp polymer 80 1 tsp essential oil 1 tsp mica powder. The mix looks like slightly damp sand but after being in mould for 12 hours when I try ed removing it it split in half and was like damp sticky sand.... please please help.....thank you

Personally I would remove the Epson salt. I am one not to like to use regular oils in bath bombs. I only use these and these. I am sure they have them in other place, and sometimes 99cent store carries them.

Why don't you try to make a BB without the oil, and see what happens? And if you really want to use oil, olive might be too heavy. A butter like shea should work better.

I also think BB are weather contingent. If it is humid, it will take longer to dry. BB should be allowed to cure for a week before use, as far as I know. Not sure what others think.

Thank you for your help I'm going to try using Shea Butter instead of olive oil tonight.

I don't use Epsom salt in mine. I do use PS80 and Cocoa Butter. As stated humidity plays a big part. I generally let them sit for a few days then package them. I don't make them when the humidity is high as they seem to absorb the humidity and get soft. I have put them I the oven on low with some success.

I do not use epson salts either, but when I had it was rock hard in 8 hours. My dehumidifier is always on, till the time I pack them. I use light oils. If it is sticky it means to much of oil probably. Olive oil is a no in BB to heavy so is Avocado oil ........ did you add some Cream of Tartar?

I live in Florida, so humid weather is always a factor! When I make a batch - I'm lucky if I get 75% bombs right. If not - I turn it into Faerie Dust!!!

I always add hard or brittle at room temp oils. this allows and keep the BB together beautifully.

Please help I'm new to bath bomb making and I'm on my 2nd batch but they are going like sticky sand in molds after 12 hours. I'm using 1cup baking soda 1/2 cup citric acid 1/2 cup Epsom salts 1 tsp olive oil 1 tsp polymer 80 1 tsp essential oil 1 tsp mica powder. The mix looks like slightly damp sand but after being in mould for 12 hours when I try ed removing it it split in half and was like damp sticky sand.... please please help.....thank you

Back