~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ Last Look At August 2017 Challenge Photos~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Lye-Based Soap Forum > Honeybee soap

Old 09-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #11
Soapstars

Liked 82 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloopygloop View Post
Your soap looks lovely. Does your assessment not allow you to add some ingredients to your base to be saponified, I thought that when I had an assessment before all the new regs came in that was what I had, a base formula with the option to add a certain percent of other stuff like bees or a luxury oil or whatever, additives where a different thing and came in with EOs /FOs SL. etc. Could be different now though.
My assessment is very specific and only allows the ingredients and exact amounts that I put forward as one recipe with 8 variations. I can't imagine getting into any other putting a bit less of something in but not more I suppose.
This is the EU safety assessment which may be different?

Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Soapstars

Quote:
I agree with Obsidian, trouble is here in the UK where we have to have a safety assessment to sell and which does not usually allow us to change the recipe unless it is like the one I mentioned in my previous post where you are able to tweak it, but not all assessments are the same and some are just one recipe which has to be adhered to as far as I am aware. Love the sound of the Brambleberry pure honey, sadly I don't know of any suppler selling Brambleberry FOs here in the UK most of our honey scents have to me the aroma of candy floss, not sure if you call the fairground spun kiddies pink sugar that in the US but it is a particular sweet smell not the lovely beeswaxy aroma which I adore, the nearest to me is Gracfruits Scottish blossom honey which is strong and more real to me.
Yeah, a honey fragrance sounds nice but I am trying to keep some of my soaps fragrance and additive free apart from natural ingredients.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #13
gloopygloop

Liked 34 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So Soapstars what constiutes the variants? is it made clear on your SA that it is only additives and the base formula E.G. oils must stay the same?

In my 17 years of soaping soaps only smell of soap without any EO/FO sadly, Goats milk tends to give an aroma of sorts, I would not say it smelled of anything in particular but when I have made fresh milk the old way putting the lye into the milk yes it smelled like you know what to begin with but ended up with a sort of faint smell of caramel, ish, that is the only way I can describe it, you could maybe enhance that with pure natural Vanilla infusion perhaps but it would be very faint if anything.....if you are lucky that is, worth a little experiment though.

The bees wax added as as sort of superfat additive would in my mind kill the lather somewhat especially when you add in the high % of Shea, so not sure of the benefits there, I must say I quite like bees wax in soap when saponified, to me it adds a little creaminess.
Soapstars Likes This 
Old 09-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #14
Soapstars

Quote:
So Soapstars what constiutes the variants? is it made clear on your SA that it is only additives and the base formula E.G. oils must stay the same?
Well yes, it is the base oils in the basic recipe and then the variants are colour and fragrance or no colour and no fragrance. I thought the honey would increase the lather, hence beeswax with honey and it would be better to include the beeswax in the weight of the oils I have learnt now. Will try that anyway.

Thank you all for your comments. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #15
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6958 Times on 3509 Posts
Likes Given: 4543

For what it's worth, in looking at your recipe on SoapCalc, your beeswax amount and your honey amount each stand as being 1% as per the amount of your oils. For myself, I use 5% honey and 3% beeswax respectively as per my amount of oils in my honey & beeswax soap. The 5% honey ppo really kicks up the bubbly factor.

IrishLass

Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #16
artemis
Mostly Harmless

Liked 959 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
For what it's worth, in looking at your recipe on SoapCalc, your beeswax amount and your honey amount each stand as being 1% as per the amount of your oils. For myself, I use 5% honey and 3% beeswax respectively as per my amount of oils in my honey & beeswax soap. The 5% honey ppo really kicks up the bubbly factor.

IrishLass
I didn't even look at the numbers very hard (MATH!). Increasing the honey may also give you the color you're looking for.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
Soapstars

Quote:

IrishLass
Thank you I will try that, was concerned in case the honey volcanoed out of the soap like it did once before when I used too much!

Old 09-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #18
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6958 Times on 3509 Posts
Likes Given: 4543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapstars View Post
Thank you I will try that, was concerned in case the honey volcanoed out of the soap like it did once before when I used too much!
Here's how I incorporate my honey into my batches (no volcanoing) see step #3: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showp...2&postcount=16

IrishLass
Soapstars Likes This 
Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #19
Soapstars

Quote:
Here's how I incorporate my honey into my batches (no volcanoing) see step #3: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showp...2&postcount=16

IrishLass
Thank you I will read up on that tomorrow as I'm in need of a shower with some lovely soap! Just been to a gym class