Essential Oil Safety

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aromaworks said:
I work with essentials oils 3 times per week, for facials and massage. The product range is from Anne semolina and I worry a little as I use them all day for those 3 days all different blends dependent on the clients skin type and concerns..... This is my 2 Nd child and I'm 9 weeks but worried if there will be any abnormalities to the fetus pls someone tell me what to do..........
We're not qualified in any way to answer that question. Please check with your doctor.

I would also recommend that you do research on essential oils that you are using that frequently to learn contra-indicators and make an appointment with not only your doctor but also a qualified aromatherapist.

I'm a little surprised that you would be doing this kind of work without aromatherapy training that would have already taught you what is safe and what is not....

Fragola said:
Do you happen to know which substance contained in citrus oils causes photosensitization ?

For example, citrus oils share "ingredients" with non-citrus oils lemongrass, melissa, litsea, etc.

Is orange peel or neroli also in this category ?

Best questions are ones that you answer yourself:

http://suite101.com/article/photo-toxic ... ils-a69964

A great article about phototoxicity in essential oils.

Lindy, as you are more experience with Essential oil, how about starting a informative thread of the % of each EO to be used?

I do understand that you emphasize on not more than 3% of EO in soap. I believe that some single EO can go to 3% direct in soap (like lavendar) but some need to be mixed with other EO. I did read that somebody, perhaps yourself, mentioning that it best not to let eucalyptus exceed 0.3%

thus I think this could be a good information if we can share and understand better.

Perhaps we can start with some common one and add on on the way..? Just a suggestion though.. haha

Each Essential Oil has an IFRA maximum recommended usage which should be available where you are buying your essential oils. If it is not available then you need a new supplier...

Citrus, i would really like to use citrus EO in lip balms and hand cream. I see them listed on the IFRA sticky thread here, and they are mentioned in this thread.

If I find a bergapten-free bergamot, is that safe, no restrictions, or would that still be limited to a certain, but higher % ?

Are there any preferred/ trustworthy suppliers of the Bergaptene free EO , and ones to avoid ?

Do any other Citrus EO's have a " problem removed " version?

And, Blood orange is not on the IFRA Banned / restricted, would you know what the limit % is ?

Thank You for your knowledge, desire to educate, & prevent sunburn : )

For wash-off products like soap you must stay beneath 3% and you will need to place a warning to avoid the sun for three (3) hours after using the product. For leave-on products like lip balm you should not go over 1% and those are flavours I would not recommend in a lip balm. With a lip balm you need to put the same warning on your label. Not worth it, nor the risk to your customers to use any citrus for flavouring of a lip balm...

Hi Lindy,
Thanks for your post.
There is really a lot to learn with Soap making. Its kind of scary when you have to consider the safety accept especially when making products that others will use.
when you talk on percentages, on what do you base the percentage?

Actually, most essential oils are safe and free of adverse side effects when used properly. The important to note that most essential oils cannot be applied directly to the skin (without being diluted).

This is an old post. Please read the rule stickies and please visit the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks!

It's safety involves a state of being free from risk or occurrence of injury, harm, or danger. Individuals who practice aromatherapy need to be aware of the safety issues involved with using essential oils in order to avoid potential adverse effects.

Please stop necroposting in the forums. Also, please go read the stickes and rules. Lastly, please go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself. Some of your postings are starting to sound spammy and we would like to know more about you and your soapy skills so that we can understand your posts more clearly.

Thank you!

Hello! I would like to use some of you expertise about essential oils vs. aromatherapy essential oils...I like to make bath bombs and use essential oils most of the time.
I recently came across two blends that smell amazing but are labeled (for aromatherapy use only) and should therefore not be exposed to the skin. My questions are: 1. Why? Do they put something in the blend that is bad for the skin? (after all, you can get the same essential and it is ok for the skin). 2. Assuming bath bombs contain oils and other ingredients, is it ok to use those aromatherapy essential oils?

It would be helpful to list the essential oils that are in the blend. And maybe the supplier. If the seller is not a soap or bath and body supplies vendor, they may be just cautioning against applying the essential oils directly to the skin, undiluted. Some EOs can also cause skin sensitivities.

As you know, and as stated above, there limits on what is a safe amount of certain Eos when it comes to skin contact. You can't use lavender and cinnamon at anywhere near the same amounts, as example.

So if a mix contained a great deal of cinnamon, it could well be classed as unsafe for skin use. Not that there is anything"bad" in there, other than the fact that too much of certain Eos is sometimes worse than using a lot of things that people consider "bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back