Lotion Bars - what percentage FO and EO do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see recipes listed at 2% for FOs and approximately 1% for EOs. I realize it depends on the FO or EO in question but just wondering what folks here use?

I use 1.3 - 1.5% FO for the thick lotion that I make but I realize solid lotion bars may need a bit more than that. ?

I go to a fragrance calculator and choose the "lotion" option, since they are both leave-on products, and add the amount in the middle. I see if I like it and I might raise it a bit.

I keep using 1% all my products are lightly scented, it seems people like that:) FO or EO the same 1% only for sugar scrubs 2, for salves it is completely different story

I also don't use an arbitrary % for for FOs and EOs. It's the intensity of the scent that will determine how much I will add of either (or both). FO blends may contain EOs, just so you know. I don't know that I'd scent lotion bars any differently than lotion -- it all depends.

That said, some FOs and some EOs have a low usage rate for skin safety, so this is also something to know. Check the IRFA info for FOs. For EOs, check reputable info from suppliers and other information sources. Robert Tisserands' book Essential Oil Safety is the best reference I know of.

Back