How many butter and oils can you use in body butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocker

Reaction score
Can one use too many different butters and oils? Most recipes that I have seen use 2-3 butters at most with 1 oil. Would it be alright to combine more butters and oils?

Only problem is...I would not know how to predict the hardness with 3-4 different butters.

I am considering using:
Avocado butter
Shea
Mango
Cocoa

Can I also add argan oil to a butter?

I use 4 oils - Shea butter, avocado oil, coconut oil and cocoa butter. Yesterday I realised that I had no cocoa butter so had to improvise.

As you say, I was looking at the consistency of the body butter and what the cocoa likely brought to it, so just upping or adding a liquid oil would have made a difference. So I increased the hard oils some and added in a touch of lard.

As long as you keep proportions similar to how they are now, and look at the room temperature butters/oils to see how they behave (brittle or soft, very melty or still solid etc), you can see what would go together

Can one use too many different butters and oils? Most recipes that I have seen use 2-3 butters at most with 1 oil. Would it be alright to combine more butters and oils?

Only problem is...I would not know how to predict the hardness with 3-4 different butters.

I am considering using:
Avocado butter
Shea
Mango
Cocoa

I am using Shea, Argan, Tamanu, Apricot Kernel, Rosehip and Almond (sweet). All those oils are carriers and I am delighted with the result. Improvement in my old hide already after only a couple of weeks.

I went ahead and made some yesterday with the 4 butters + 3 oils, since there were no replies at that time and I needed to get it made. It turned out well. Consistency was good.

I am considering using:
Avocado butter
Shea
Mango
Cocoa

When I made my last batch I did not use the cocoa butter. I used 150g of shea, 100g of mango, 100 g of avocado butter and 50g avocado oil. It turned out quite nice save for the grains of unmelted mango butter but I will do better next batch.

All of the butters you're using are fine but I do hope you used the cocoa butter in the least measured amount due to it's hardness. It will always make your body butters much harder than if you had left it out.

My proportions:

15 cocoa
30 shea
20 mango
10 avocado

25 mixture of liquid oils

Whipped with stand mixer/whisk

Latest posts

Back