Share your favorite bath and body recipes!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the shower, or after you've towel-dried your hair?

Jenny, I'd take a stab at saying (sorry if I'm wrong!) that she probably moisturizes with the bar then whatever is left on her hands she scrunches into her hair for the frizz control.

Tee-hee, Misskat22 nailed it. Sorry I didn't see this sooner ;)

Do you use the Lotion Bar Love recipe? I like that one! I use the amount of shea as cocoa and then the amount of cocoa as shea as I like a harder bar and they're really nice! I also leave out the green tea extract (because I don't have it). I pour them into guest soap molds and put them into tins when they're hard :)

Soapqueen blog post for lotion bar love: http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/lotion-bar-love/

Which oil do you use the shea or the cocoa butter?? Your sentence above contradicts itself. lol

Lotion Bar

my new found lotion bar recipe.

2 parts local beeswax
2 parts mango butter
2 parts avocado oil
1/4th tsp Vitamin E
1/8th tsp cornstarch
20 - 25 drops of any FO I have

2 parts local beeswax
2 parts mango butter
2 parts avocado oil
1/4th tsp Vitamin E
1/8th tsp cornstarch

I've never had the opportunity to work with mango butter. Is it as hard as cocoa butter or more like Shea? Trying to figure out how to substitute. I need something more serious for my skin. Firewood season is upon us and my poor hands...

I've never had the opportunity to work with mango butter. Is it as hard as cocoa butter or more like Shea? Trying to figure out how to substitute. I need something more serious for my skin. Firewood season is upon us and my poor hands...

It's kind of in between. It's firmer than shea, but not as solid as cocoa butter.

Which oil do you use the shea or the cocoa butter?? Your sentence above contradicts itself. lol

I believe she used both, and just swapped the amounts to make it a harder bar.

Soap Queen recipe calls for 5oz shea and 3oz cocoa, so the way I read it, misskat22 used 5oz cocoa butter and 3oz shea butter.

HerbalEarthling, for info on butters, oils, properties, preservatives, well pretty much anything as far as hand crafted cosmetics and their ingredients goes, try susan barclay nicols' site http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

and for butter comparison

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1020026/buttercomparisonchart.pdf

For body butter, I do 50% firm butters, 25% coconut oil (if there's another semi-firm oil/butter out there I suspect it would be good too), and 25% liquid oil. But the absolute magic ingredient is tapioca starch. I use it at a rate of a little shy of a level teaspoon per cup of oils. Just toss it in after you get it whipped and mix well. I'm telling you, the difference is just stunning. It takes it from feeling like a greasy mess to something really silky, and luxurious. It's not just that it cuts the oily feeling- it's amazing stuff.

I love bath melts 70g of cocoa butter, 30g of Shea butter, and .5ml of essential oils and put it in Mimi muffin liners. takes a few days to fully harden but when it does its mighty fine! And can be used as a lotion bar it's pretty hard had them sitting on top of my fridge in my hot kitchen at thanksgiving time and didn't soften up. :) I love tehe!

When you say parts,p please share what parts you used - cups, tablespoons, etcetc. I love those ingredients and would love to try your recipe. I've never made a lotion bar and would like to try one.

2 parts local beeswax
2 parts mango butter
2 parts avocado oil
1/4th tsp Vitamin E
1/8th tsp cornstarch

When you say parts,p please share what parts you used - cups, tablespoons, etcetc. I love those ingredients and would love to try your recipe. I've never made a lotion bar and would like to try one.
It really does not matter as you can guess at the Vitamin E and Cornstarch. The basic is approx 33.33% x 3. You can then add in cornstarch to feel and Vitamin E. Neither make a big difference of proportion in lotion bars unless you go crazy with the amounts. Although I would not like this one, lotion bars are more a personal preference of what you like, versus someones set recipe, and you may love it. I add in IPM to cut greasy in mine and to help absorption, not cornstarch

Pudding and peanuts would cornflour or I think American people call it cornstarch work the same do you think?? Tia

Sorry- just saw this. I think so, but maybe not quite as well. Tapioca starch is available at WSP, on Amazon and if you're in the US, at Whole Foods

Is Tapioca Flour the same thing?

Probably

My Whipped Body Butter

1/2 cup Shea Butter - SB
1/4 cup Cocoa Butter -CB
1/2 cup Mango Butter - MB
1/4 cup Coconut Oil - CO
1/2 cup light oil -jojoba or sweet almond oil or 1/2 of both
2 tbsp Vitamin E
1 tbs arrowroot powder

10-30 drops of essential oils blend (4 drops Lavender/6 drops Vanilla or 15 lemongrass)

Melt the CB in a double boiler.
Let the MB & SB soften on the stove while the CB melts.
Mix the melted CB with the light oils, essential oil & vitamin E oil.
Add the liquid oils to the softened butter and arrowroot.
Whip using a hand mixer until it's light and fluffy. (If the mixture is to runny refrigerate for 15-20 min or it starts to slightly solidify.

I store my body butter in a double walled plastic jar. It doesn't melt as easy.

If the mix is too oily for you add more arrowroot. I use natural unprocessed butters.
*Don't use if your allergic to any of the butters*

Latest posts

Back