Stupid Question - Bubbles while cleaning up?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcpeery

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just made my FIRST batch of soap. I'm not sure how well it went, although I didn't blow up my kitchen, so that's a plus. It occurred to me as I was cleaning up my utensils that the residue didn't seem very soap-like. There were no bubbles, it was just kind of oily. So, my stupid question is, should there have been bubbles while I was cleaning up, or is that something that will occur after it's cured? I know some recipes lather better than others, but this one is supposed to be a good latherer. <-- I'm not even sure that's a word...

TIA
Lisa

Immediately after making soap, the extent of my clean-up is to wipe everything with paper towels. Raw soap is not good for the plumbing as it is unsaponified. Well, maybe if you're doing HP. In that case, it has saponified. But with CP, what I do is whipe it all down really well, then leave them for washing the next day after any residual soap has saponified. In some cases, I will fill with water to prevent a sqeeze bottle, for example, from having hardened soap inside the next day. The only thing I usually clean immediately is my stick blender because I don't want to leave it soaking overnight; I don't think it's good for the rubber seal (or whatever it's made of.) But only after wiping thoroughly with paper towel and soaking in lots of cold soapy water.

As for bubbles with raw soap, I would not expect it. Bubbles with HP soap, though, that I do get.

..."a good latherer. <-- I'm not even sure that's a word..."

Yes, that's a word... at least around here it is. :)

Remember no question is stupid if you don't know the answer before asking.

Latest posts

Back