seaweed in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karol67

Reaction score
He everyone, we are wanting to put small amounts of dried seaweed, not powdered, in cold process soap, has anyone done this before ?

I use seaweed in soup (yes soup, not soap) quite often, so I considered using seaweed-soaked water in place of plain distilled water, but have not as yet tried it. I have read of people using rice water and also potato water in soap, so it made sense to me to try seaweed water. One of these days I will give all of these a try.

As for bits of dried seaweed, unless it is finely finely finely ground up, as in powdery consistency, I would not be tempted because I have experienced how scratchy other organics become in soap, even when they start out wet & soggy. The dried seaweed I use is very very hard when dry, so I know it would be like little sharp knives in soap. Maybe Nori sheets would be less so, but it's not Nori that I generally use for cooking.

I've been in a LUSH store twice, the second time I bought a soap with nori in it. I liked the look. Nothing spectacular but scratchy isn't a word I'd use to describe it. If I ever get around to making something similar I think I'd pulverize some seaweed or but powder and infuse it in whatever liquid I'm using to dissolve the lye in. Personally, I only use aloe juice, not much more expensive than water at Wally World.

I've made seaweed [Nori] soap before without it being scratchy. I just put the nori sheets in some oil and left it for awhile and came back and stick blend it . I must add that the soap will not maintain that green color , it will turn brown. I've used the soap with no scratchy feeling what-so-ever .

I also use nori in soap. I soak a sheet in the recipe water, then blend it in a bullet until smooth. Not a lot of bigger piece and those that are present, aren't scratchy.

If you use seaweed infused liquid...is the smell very strong and does it fade? I've been planning to try this to give a more realistic touch to a beach scent. But I've been afraid it might be unpleasant... like bathing with dead fish.

He everyone, we are wanting to put small amounts of dried seaweed, not powdered, in cold process soap, has anyone done this before ?

I have done this with my spa Badedas type soap. i use NORI and they look lovely in my pure coconut soap. the seaweed smells goes lovely with the Woodsy scent. and customer LOVE it.. they actually say the keep lathering up..
and they want lotion .. so im working on finding a good seaweed scent to mix with my woodsy scent to achieve this. :)

Back