Seized up!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owngesoda

Reaction score
Hello!
I am new to soap making and tonight I ran into an unforeseen issue. I was experimenting with making a coffee soap. I used distilled water to brew the coffee and let it cool in the fridge for a few hours. Then I added my lye and warmed up my oils. My lye coffee and melted oils were mixed together when both solutions were between 120F and 130F. As I was stirring I mixed in .33oz clove leaf essential oil. Once the essential oil was completely mixed (about 2-3 minutes total of stir time) my soap completely seized up and became the consistency of paraffin wax. The mixture also heated up considerably. I have attached my recipe and images of the essential oil (which I feel may have been the culprit), and of the seized mixture. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!
Thanks!

Note: I rounded the amount of coffee used to 14oz.

coffee soap.PNG

oil.jpg

seizure.jpg

Last edited:
Clove, cinnamon, and flower scents are notorious for causing soap to seize. You can try an emergency hot process to bring everything together and have useable soap. I will warn you, clove and cinnamon tend to make sensitive skin tingle. You can mix the rebatch with some plain soap to offset the tingle

Thank you for the quick response! I am reheating it now. I will update on the outcome.

I have only used clove EO once because it accelerated so much. It's also quite a strong scent, so perhaps using less would help. It has been suggested to add the fragrance to the oils before adding the lye when doing CP, so I started doing that, but I don't think it really makes those finicky fragrances less problematic.

I have only used clove EO once because it accelerated so much. It's also quite a strong scent, so perhaps using less would help. It has been suggested to add the fragrance to the oils before adding the lye when doing CP, so I started doing that, but I don't think it really makes those finicky fragrances less problematic.

I would think that soaping cooler might also help slow down the seize at least long enough to stuff it into a mold? I've not used clove in soap yet, only cinnamon leaf and that moved FAST.

Back