If you don't sell, what are you doing with all your soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I polled a few people at work to see if there was interest in some soap, which there was. I sorted through about half of what I have and pulled out a sizeable grocery bag and brought in. The entire bag was gone by 10. I found out that one lady came and took the whole bag. I know this woman and her husband are "repurposers" - they often scout thrift stores etc for collectibles on the cheap and resell at a much higher price in their flea market. I have also wholesaled some soaps to them in the past, but those were correctly labeled with my information and the ingredients etc. The soaps I brought today only have a "made on" date and just enough information for me to be able to find the recipe if I wanted to refer back to it... so now I am concerned that the co-worker is going to sell them (actually I'm 100% positive that she is going to). Ugh. This woman has no idea what is in these soaps (and honestly I don't either without looking at my notes), so I am almost inclined to go home and make proper labels for the soaps. Do I go get the soaps from her and do this or just let her do her thing? Or ask her to leave the soaps for people who want to use them personally and not for profitable gain? The reason they don't have proper labels to begin with is because they weren't the quality of soaps that I wanted to put in my store and/or tie my name too. If there's a "next time" that I do this, I'll at least put an ingredient label on them before I bring them to work.

BTW: she was not one of the people that I polled.

If it were me, this time, I would let it be, but if you ever do it again, have people come directly to you to get the soap that way she can't take the whole bag and you can divvy out as you see fit.

Well, I polled a few people at work to see if there was interest in some soap, which there was. I sorted through about half of what I have and pulled out a sizeable grocery bag and brought in. The entire bag was gone by 10. I found out that one lady came and took the whole bag. I know this woman and her husband are "repurposers" - they often scout thrift stores etc for collectibles on the cheap and resell at a much higher price in their flea market. I have also wholesaled some soaps to them in the past, but those were correctly labeled with my information and the ingredients etc. The soaps I brought today only have a "made on" date and just enough information for me to be able to find the recipe if I wanted to refer back to it... so now I am concerned that the co-worker is going to sell them (actually I'm 100% positive that she is going to). Ugh. This woman has no idea what is in these soaps (and honestly I don't either without looking at my notes), so I am almost inclined to go home and make proper labels for the soaps. Do I go get the soaps from her and do this or just let her do her thing? Or ask her to leave the soaps for people who want to use them personally and not for profitable gain? The reason they don't have proper labels to begin with is because they weren't the quality of soaps that I wanted to put in my store and/or tie my name too. If there's a "next time" that I do this, I'll at least put an ingredient label on them before I bring them to work.

BTW: she was not one of the people that I polled.

Ooh, that would make me angry....but I would also let it go. Live & learn, right? Next time, maybe keep the stash with you and ask your coworkers individually if they'd like some. Then, you'd be able to talk about them about the soaps & help people find something that will work for them.

OMG, amd! That would have me fuming for sure.

I agree that leaving it alone this one time is probably best - take it as a lesson learned. Next time you have some soap to off-load, just keep it at your desk and let your coworkers come take a bar or two if they like.

Thanks... I've been seriously trying to not rush over to her desk. I've been asked if I brought the soaps, so I did send them over to HER desk to get soap from her (and then told those co-workers to spread the word...) I figured if I could hurt her profit off my work, maybe I wouldn't be quite as guilt ridden about the no labels thing. I guess she's had to hand over quite a few bars, and a few people were not shy about telling her it was a shady thing she did.

Lesson learned! Next time I'll just put up a sign at the "good will" table (we have a table specifically for giveaway items in our entry way) and my office mate may have to put up with a little extra traffic. Of course, I'll ask him first and explain it to him. He's a pretty reasonable guy for an engineer :p

Some people. I hope at least she is giving soap to those who ask for it.

I think my friends tactfully made it uncomfortable for her (but yes, they did manage to get soap from her). She sent me an email asking me if it was ok if she sells them, and asked why I wasn't selling them. (I had a note on the bag explaining the "defects", but whatever) I replied that if she's going to sell them, I'll come over and take inventory and charge her $2.50 for each bar.

UPDATE: It appears the bag has been returned to the table... :twisted:

I think my friends tactfully made it uncomfortable for her (but yes, they did manage to get soap from her). She sent me an email asking me if it was ok if she sells them, and asked why I wasn't selling them. (I had a note on the bag explaining the "defects", but whatever) I replied that if she's going to sell them, I'll come over and take inventory and charge her $2.50 for each bar.

UPDATE: It appears the bag has been returned to the table... :twisted:

Hahaha! Glad it worked out. It amazes me how money-grubby some folks are.

She sent me an email asking me if it was ok if she sells them:twisted:

Wow. To knowingly take something that was clearly meant to be shared by all with the intent to sell it - and then admit as much. I'd be so embarrassed if I were her.

Glad it has worked out.

Other than my guilt complex over the labels, I was kind of like... eh, whatever! But my colleagues reporting back to me made some good entertainment for the morning. The bag seems to be slowly emptying through the afternoon, only a few questions on "what's in this" that I will have to get back to tomorrow after I've checked my notes. Some of them were easy enough to answer with "it's a soap with oatmeal and honey" for the ones I knew off the top of my head, and for most people that was good enough. A few wanted to know exactly what oils were in it, so those are the ones I have to check with my notes.

That is just ridiculously greedy and money grubbing. CLEARLY the items were meant to be shared! Does this lady pack up to-go boxes during the work potluck before everyone has had their first serving?

You know, she could easily have ASKED you if you'd be willing to sell her your "factory seconds" for cheap so she could resell them.

...so now I am concerned that the co-worker is going to sell them (actually I'm 100% positive that she is going to). Ugh. This woman has no idea what is in these soaps...

Ugh, how terrible! But I can totally relate to this. I recently took 23 bars to give my classmates at a reunion. (I do not sell them.) We had expected 20, but only 11, including me, showed up. Many took one or two, and I was left with seven bars. This guy (let's call him person #11), a politician, grabbed all of them! I reminded him that #10 had not yet taken any, and I deliberately ensured that #10 took at least two. #11 then pointed to my empty paper bag and said, "It's hard for me to carry all these; give me that bag too."!!! He'll probably give them away on his campaign trail. This is annoying because most people have no clue what's in these -- soap is just soap to them -- which seems to belittle my efforts.

BTW, I give mine to friends and neighbours who have helped in some way or the other. I work with street dogs, and many people have contributed to a fund to help the dogs. So I give them the soap as a little thank-you gesture. Then there's a family that helped get my car out of the slush one rainy evening; I need to go over to their place...

You could either call or make a stop and talk to someone to find out. I find just showing up at the door produces greater results than trying to call. (But that's here in the States also)

I called into my local family resources centre and they were delighted to take the bars ( all 30 of them), and I'm delighted they address outta my way:)

Or, seeing as he's a politician and knowing the reputation of politicians, maybe he'll use them to "clean up" his act. ;)

Haha! I wish it were that easy -- then I am sure all of us on this forum would produce enough to meet the world's supply and give it gratis to every politician in the world!:)

Haha! I wish it were that easy -- then I am sure all of us on this forum would produce enough to meet the world's supply and give it gratis to every politician in the world!:)

Speaking of which, I had briefly thought of sending one of my favorite candidates a gift of soap, then thought, 'No, don't want the Secret Service breathing down my back for sending lye soap to a presidential hopeful.' :???:

Back