Slow Cooker

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epicsoap

Reaction score
Hi Soap Makers!

I simply wanted to ask about Hot process.
I have only made CP so far but wanted to embark on making some HP batches.

Would you say it is okay to use the same slow cooker for my soap as my cooking or should I get a separate one (storage issues)?

Thanks,

EpicSoap

I have a separate crockpot for my HP shave soap. It's the only HP I do. I know there are probably some that use it for both but I personally wouldn't. The lye can etch the crock and get into any chips or cracks. If you look to very bottom of this you will see several older posts regarding the same question.

You can probably get a crockpot for a small amount at the Goodwill etc. I bought a small one from Walmart for about $10.

I understand the storage issues, and a crockpot does take up a lot of space. But there is a solution to using the same for soaping and for cooking: Crockpot liners.

I never thought I'd want to use a crockpot liner in my life until my brother asked me to bring a crockpot to Spring Training last year. Well, since I have one that I bought specifically to use when I travel for making soap, I thought it was the perfect time to see how those liners work. So I bought a box of crockpot liners at Walmart and used that when we made food in soaping crockpot. I felt safe using my dedicated soaping crockpot for food when it was lined.

One other possibility is to be lucky enough to find a replacement ceramic insert that will fit your current crockpot and have one for food and one for soap only, but you'd still have storage issues. And finding an extra insert is an iffy project anyway.

I love the crockpot liners. I don't use mine without one. Easy cleanup. However, with soap just be careful as they are large and your stickblender could cut it up.

I used a liner for my one and only HP. I brought it to trace in a bowl, and then HP'ed in the crock. I didn't notice any problems. The soap never got hotter than the crock normally would if it were set at high to cook food.

Or, you can do what I do when I HP- Instead of using a crockpot, I HP in a stainless steel soup pot in my oven (set to 180F). For what its worth, I use the same pot for both soup and soap without any issues. Stainless steel is the only material that I use for both food and soap.

IrishLass :)

I destroyed stainless steel :D

Stainless steel is the only material that I use for both food and soap.

I've managed to destroy a stainless steel pot by rebatching a disaster soap in it. I'm not sure if the soap was too bad or if it was the pot. But it did get almost black at the bottom. I think it was low quality stainless steel (it was cheap), because I used the stainless steel bowl for my stand mixer, which I suppose is in a higher quality, and that did not get destroyed. So I guess stainless steel is fine unless it is cheap stainless steel pots.

Or, you can do what I do when I HP- Instead of using a crockpot, I HP in a stainless steel soup pot in my oven (set to 180F). For what its worth, I use the same pot for both soup and soap without any issues. Stainless steel is the only material that I use for both food and soap.

IrishLass :)

I use a stainless steel soup pot too. What I do is get another pot, fill it part way with water, and boil. Then I insert the pot with the soap batter, I cook 40/45 mins for a 53 oz mold. The more the soap batter the longer the cooking time, and the smaller the batch the shorter the cook time.

Latest posts

Back