I need some info help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happychicken

Reaction score
Hi all , i need some info help from you, ok i soap for a hobby and give my babbies away, what i need help with, is that i want to start selling them at the markets and my local rural supplyer would like me to make dog soap for her to sell. I know you have to register with the NICNAS, as well as getting some sort of insurance and the labbling of them, so does that mean i have to get an abn number and register as a buisness as well? Sorry if these are dumb questions, everything to me seems like mumbo jumbo. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.
maria

Have you check the Business forums here on SMF? There are many previous discussions regarding insurance. I'm guessing abn is similar to tax id number (required for businesses) here in U.S. Just make sure this suppler has her own insurance coverage as well, that would be my advise to you. If you're going to starting selling you'll definitely want to have insurance coverage for your business and wherever you'll be making the soaps, you just never know.

Better to be safely covered, than sorry!

In Canada you have to have general liability insurance in case someone has an allergic reaction to your soap or in case in harms someone even if they are using it in a manner that would never, ever be recommended for soap. This applies even if you are selling it through another vendor who is purchasing it from you because you are ultimately responsible for your product. As for licensing, here in Canada you don't have to have a tax ID until you reach $30,000 in annual sales for GST & $10,000 in annual sales for Provincial Tax. So I expect your federal rules will be somewhat unique as well. I am required to have a business license once I'm an "official" business and my house insurance had to be notified that I am running a home business. I also had to prove to my house insurance company that I got the General Liability Insurance.

As far the Federal Government in Canada is concerned I need to send them an ingredient list for each soap that I produce and there is no charge for that. I do however have to pay attention to the "restricted" list as there are ingredients I am not allowed to put into soap. I also have to be very careful of what my claims are as they can intrude into "medicinal" products, but in general they are considered to be under Cosmetics .

HTH

Lindy

Latest posts

Back