SMF Soap Challenge -July 2017 Mermaid Tail Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Welcome to July’s SMF Soap Challenge!

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THIS FIRST (and ALL Rules)-

General Rules:
1.The only members eligible to vote are those with their names on the sign up list - regardless of whether or not you have submitted an entry.

2. This months voting will be password locked. Passwords will be PM'ed to registered participants ONLY. So please check your PM's when the voting begins.

3. No posting your entry photos until the entry thread is made. Non entry photos are very welcome!

4. You are allowed to change your entry photo up until the entry thread closes. So if you decide after you post your entry you want another try, and you like the second better, you can change it up until the deadline.

NOW
This month’s challenge goal is to create a beautiful mermaid tail soap.

This video is very long. I mess up the design in the video at first but I deliberately put it in there because I think it is important to see how the process went. If you just want to see the soap top, skip to 8:45. I tried to be as thorough as possible but please let me know if I need to clarify something.

Replies will be erratic until mid day July 3rd EST as I am currently in Europe and will not be back till then.

https://youtu.be/v-DbrtBvPCw

SMF Challenge Specific Rules
· You must create a mermaid tail design in the top of your soap bars (loaf or slab)

· Your design must contain at least two colors. However, 3 or more is ideal (note, I'm not the best example!)

· You may create your design in a slab mold or loaf mold (really any mold with a flat top, no textured top)

· For your entry, you must show a picture of your soap before cutting and some cut pictures of your soap

• You may use glitter or other toppings (mica, etc) on your soap. However, do not add any embeds please.

• You will need to acquire squeeze bottles for this challenge.

Challenge Entry Thread Opens July 20th 2017 .
Challenge Entry Thread Closes July 26th 2017.
Survey for choosing the winning choices opens the 26th, no later than the 27th and closes 30th
Winners Announced July 31, 2017.

SMF Challenge General Rules
· To enter you must have a minimum of 50 posts and been a member for a month (sorry but no exceptions on this)
· Please add your name to the sign up list if you wish to participate (however, you don’t have to enter a soap at the end if you don’t feel happy with what you have produced)
· The challenge thread should be used to upload pictures of any of your challenge attempts where you can ask for advice and discuss the technique with other members.
· Constructive criticism is welcomed, but please try to keep your comments polite.
· Competition entries must be uploaded to the separate entry thread before the closing date.

· After the closing date the winning entry will be chosen using survey monkey and the winner announced. There is no prize attached to this challenge.
· If you fail to make the challenge deadline, you are still welcome to upload your soap onto the thread, but your entry will not be eligible for voting. We still love to see anything you have produced.
· Even though there is no prize, this is still a competition. If your entry is deemed not to fulfil the general rules or the rules specific to the challenge in any way, then you will be given the opportunity to amend your entry. If this is not possible then your entry will not be included in the voting.
· Newbie, Saponista, Lionproncess00 and GalaxyMLP reserve the right to have the final say on whether a soap is eligible for voting.

1. earlene - I have not seen this one before; it should be fun!
2. Omneya- I have seen this before, but it was called dragon scales. Still want to try it!

So... I'm guessing I haven't been a member long enough to participate in this challenge, since I only joined in June. Darn. I'll probably give it a try anyway, even if I can't actually enter. Looks like fun!

2. Omneya- I have seen this before, but it was called dragon scales. Still want to try it!
3. dibbles - I've actually tried this once - it didn't go well. Time to try again!

I thought for sure we would be doing this kind of soap LOL! I think I like the scaled look better though. :) Reminds me of the dragon eggs from Game of Thrones!

ocean-soap-with-mermaid-tail-500x717.jpg

3. dibbles - I've actually tried this once - it didn't go well. Time to try again!
4. toxikon - pretty shiny scales!!!

5. BattleGnome - an exercise in patience for me

Last edited:
6. PenelopeJane - Time poor this month but I will try and make time.

Well, I already did a practice soap and learned something important. Let it sit a bit before putting into the oven for CPOP and make sure the oven is off. My textured scales flattened out after I forgot to turn off the oven. Hubby came home from work just as I was putting it in the oven, so I was a little distracted. By the time I remembered to check on it (about a half hour later), the texture of the scales was all flat. I'm glad I got a before picture.

Anyway it was fun.

Last edited:
7. Soapprentice - oooooooohhhh..... Dragon scales!!

Even though I can't participate, can I try and post picture here? It looks fun.

Asmita, you can do that! You can also try to get your post count up in the next week to 50 so you can join if you want. You've been here long enough!

I know some people are just readers/lurkers here so if you don't want to comment on things I understand that too!

8. Mx5inpenn - I was thinking dragon too!

8. Mx5inpenn - I was thinking dragon too!
9. jewels621 - I'm in again....so fun!

I watched several soap making videos today, starting with some on this technique. Although I prefer to use a squeeze bottle, a few soapers used zip lock baggies like a cake piping bag to do the scales. Just thought I'd mention that in case anyone doesn't have squeeze bottles and doesn't want to buy any.

Back