Moroccan soap / Soap beldi

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not quite sure I'm following you about the water thing. All I can offer at this point is that a KOH solution requires at least 2.5 parts water to 1 part KOH, and quite a few recipes go 3 parts water to 1 part KOH. KOH needs that much water to dilute properly. Does that seem to address your concern?

Yes, it does thank you very much. I didn't realize that KOH needed so much more water than NaOH to dissolve so I thought they were using way too much water to compensate for the HP. My mistake and thank you for another lesson. Where do I send my tuition fees??? LOL!!!

Well for anyone interested in making this here's my experience. I came to SMF because I was looking to make this soap in particular. I was not (then) making soap but was making Moroccan Tadelakt plaster and you use this soap to cure the plaster. It's super expensive to buy so I thought I'd make my own. I found a recipe on the internet but it didn't match the ingredients on the product I was buying so with the help of members here and soap calc I mangled a recipe together. According to Pilar what I made is not "real" Beldi because it didn't have the olive meat in it, so technically I made a Castille paste.

It is FANTASTIC but, just like Castile bar soap .. there is little lather, some people might call it slimy .. I think smooth or slick instead. I love the soap I made. My skin is very dry and prone to pimples but since using this soap I have not had one pimple and have stopped using moisturizers. It leaves my skin squeaky clean but not dry and no oily film in the bath tub. I also feel my skin tone has evened out and my normally tomato red face is more of a calm pink now!

I used 100% OO and KOH, water at 35%, superfatted at 8% and I did not cook mine to finish, I stopped at beginning gel and and let it cure in the airtight container the way it was suggested. It is technically a liquid soap due to the KOH but doesn't follow 1/2 the liquid soap rules. It didn't need to be neutralized, wasn't diluted with water to make liquid (although it could be), isn't cooked to finish (although it could be).

DeeAnna, both Pilar and Roberto's recipes have a LOT of water in them .. 50% or more?? I had to enter 25% lye to get numbers close. We also don't have black olive meat in our soap calc so I'm uncertain how that works into the recipe. Maybe you have some thoughts on that?

I am very excited to try Pilar's version with the olive meat in it. I plunked some numbers into soap calc and to get near her numbers I used 800 g of OO, superfat 3%, lye 25%. I'd love to hear your feedback on those numbers and how the meat fits in.

I think I'm finally getting close to the purist Beldi I came here to learn.

I'll explain my formula. In Spain we use the calculator Mendrulandia
I put in my calculator: Virgin Olive Oil 800 and Others: olive paste 200. SE 0% and CO 25%. Then: Water 456, 152 KOH. I put the soap concentration because this requires a long time to cook to have brightness and is ductile, with that wonderful texture. Normally it takes 3 hours to make. This took me 2h ​​30 'because I did not put in a water bath and also not plugged but was gently turning half the time and the water evaporates ... I just put the heat to low when started doing eruptions (around 1hr 30 mins)
You should not worry if you have no natural olives because you can buy cans of black olives that are on the market and if they carry salt, leave them in water at least a day to lose salt.
With the mass of olives left over me, I did the soap I put here and is called Soap Olive paste, it is in the gallery.
Of course I can make a castile with olive paste but you should try this soap they call soap but it is used in a hammam just to cover your skin 15 ', while you can take to exfoliate skin or face and then with a sponge the fold. And then when the kessa glove with friction out all the dead skin cells.
I wish I could help you and forgive my English

Last edited:
Sorry, SE: superfatted and CO: Concentration :roll:

Thank you for that information.

DeeAnna? Do you think superfatting at 0 is adjusted by the fat in the olive flesh?

My last batch I superfatted at 8% but it had no olive flesh in it. I have super dry skin so I'm terrified of 0 superfat.

ETA: I use this website http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1964/2

to look up fat content and it says 11g of fat / 100 g of olives so .. 22g of fat from the olives in Pilar's recipe. I'm trying to figure out the superfat if that's all the extra fat there is.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1964/2

Last edited:
Thank you for that information.

DeeAnna? Do you think superfatting at 0 is adjusted by the fat in the olive flesh?

My last batch I superfatted at 8% but it had no olive flesh in it. I have super dry skin so I'm terrified of 0 superfat.

ETA: I use this website http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1964/2

to look up fat content and it says 11g of fat / 100 g of olives so .. 22g of fat from the olives in Pilar's recipe. I'm trying to figure out the superfat if that's all the extra fat there is.
Don`t worry. the beldi soap is a soap exfoliating with vitamin E and the richness of the olive.
It is a blend foundation that you can enrich with oils such as argan, rosehip, Almond oil, Indian powders, flowers, floral waters, essential oils or ... look at this recipe

http://www.moroccandaily.com/2013/07/realiser-un-savon-beldi-rouge-exfoliant.html

The possibilities are endless

I just realized I would do this the same as the coconut milk where you don't add it to the fats you subtract it. So put 800 grams of OO in the calculator to find the lye but actually weigh out 778g (800g - 22g from the flesh)

I think I'd still superfat mine to 8% like I did previously.

Last edited:
Speculatively eyes the 10 lbs of home cured green olives (salt water only, no lye).

Could one do this with green olives?

Speculatively eyes the 10 lbs of home cured green olives (salt water only, no lye).

Could one do this with green olives?

Well .. from this website http://www.marksdailyapple.com/olives-difference-green-black/#ixzz2tq6AUggQ

As for the green versus black question, there are no nutritional differences between the two.
So .. why not? Other than the fact that it's called black soap, LOL! Looking forward to your experiment and you better post pics!

I'm willing to make a batch with black olives and swap you some samples so we can see the difference.

ETA: fwiw, according to the nutrition website there's 15g of fat in 100g of green olives, compared to 11g in 100g of black olives. There's also way more sodium in the green ones and way more iron in the black ones. I wonder how those two things might effect the soap?

Last edited:
I just realized I would do this the same as the coconut milk where you don't add it to the fats you subtract it. So put 800 grams of OO in the calculator to find the lye but actually weigh out 778g (800g - 22g from the flesh)

I think I'd still superfat mine to 8% like I did previously.

Please note that you are considering the olive paste as oil and that is not so.
The pulp or olive paste is constituted by water (68.4%), oil (21.6%) and total solids (10.0%), which in turn correspond to 44.5% of water, 14.1% oil and 6.5% total solids on total fruit

And Seawolf, here are the differences between black olives (olivas negras) and green olives (olivas verdes) Black olives have more fat
http://img.vitonica.com/2009/09/aceitunas.jpeg

Last edited:
So on a tangent - is olive oil made from green olives or black olives? I always thought green, but if black olives have more oil in them....

When I first started researching this soap I thought it was made with oil from black olives so I went looking for that and found that yes, it is available for sale but you'll pay with a first born child it's so expensive.

And the colour wasn't much different so it must be a taste thing.

and another tangent .. my head is spinning with the idea of an olive oil/pine tar experiement ..

Please note that you are considering the olive paste as oil and that is not so.
The pulp or olive paste is constituted by water (68.4%), oil (21.6%) and total solids (10.0%), which in turn correspond to 44.5% of water, 14.1% oil and 6.5% total solids on total fruit

We calculate the amount of fat that will be added to the soap from the pulp. We do the same with coconut milk. It is a very small amount of fat and you don't have to do this but it is a more exact, or scientific way of making soap.

That would make sense, green olives are just unripe black olives of the same species: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive

So on a tangent - is olive oil made from green olives or black olives? I always thought green, but if black olives have more oil in them....

SeaWolf, I see that you are interested in olive oil ( liquid gold ) I 'll leave notes if you are interested in several producing oil since. I live in southern Spain and I know him well.
Depending on your region, in Spain different varieties of olives are grown. The most significant volume are Manzanilla, Gordal, Hojiblanca, Carrasqueña, Cacereña, Aloreña, Picual, Verdial, Cornicabra ...
By coloring are categorized into three types, depending on the time they have been collected and the process of development carried out :
- Green : Olives obtained from fruits of normal size, as reflected in its maturation .
- De changing color: Olives picked before full maturity and fruit purple , pink or brown.
- Black: Olives come from fruits that are not fully mature and that once treated acquire their characteristic black color.

The oil is produced with black and green olives and hence arise the various types of oils on the market

This you can translate it with Google Translation

http://www.conexionbrando.com/1502934
http://www.oleohispana.com/variedad.htm

We calculate the amount of fat that will be added to the soap from the pulp. We do the same with coconut milk. It is a very small amount of fat and you don't have to do this but it is a more exact, or scientific way of making soap.

This soap is called so but not soap is an exfoliating
This soap, if you want know :
- For Arabs one beldi soap is a quality soap.
- This soap is used in a Hamman. A Hamman was formerly a place to bathe but not as we know it today.Un hammam ritual is both cleansing and spirit. It is an act that purifies.
- This soap is to exfoliate
- It is a soap that is older and I do not think we should question why formulas and calculators if it's good or not: We should do it and try it.
And I invite you to do it and tell us.

How is your project coming along?

Thank you for the link, I appreciate it. My project is on hold due to a broken ankle. I've been on the couch for two weeks now with a few more to go before I'll be up and about without crutches.

:Kitten Love:

I'm eager to make Beldi and with the weather warming up I'm itching to get busy with Tadelakt. I'm planning some garden chairs that might look similar to the first picture I posted .. they'll be a cardboard and wire frame work covered in cement and the Tadelakt would go on the surface of the chair to make it more pleasant to sit on and then the Beldi soap goes on last to waterproof the whole thing. The second picture is a Tadelakt bench done by Artesano Tadelakt. ETA: the bench is so shiny because of the soap treatment on the surface

I've seen similar chairs made with electric heating coils embedded in the cement so you can sit on a nice warm chair in the cooler weather. I might have to incorporate that into my idea.

poozdesign-lounge-chair-home-1.jpg

1383881_540152466053680_1695438398_n.jpg

oops! Sorry about your broken ankle :wink: I remember a post about it now. Here's hoping the healing time flies by quickly.

I never heard of Tadelakt until you posted about it in this thread. Decided to Google it today. I'll be reading up on it some more. At a glance though I'm looking at a pricey hobby? Olive/olive oil not cheap :)

At a glance though I'm looking at a pricey hobby? Olive/olive oil not cheap :)

Do you mean making Beldi is a pricey hobby? I don't believe so, a little goes a long way. I made a batch similar to Pilar's but just 100% OO and no olive meat (I realize it's not the same thing but I believe it's what they're using for Tadelakt) .. anyway, a 1lb batch made a lot of soap. I only use a tiny bit for a shower .. less than a teaspoon or just dip a scrubby in it.

ETA: I bought OO pomace at the local cash and carry and only paid $15 for a gallon. The batch of soap cost me less than $5 to make.

Last edited:
Back