Question about Vegetable Glycerin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnitaB

Reaction score
I bought this at my new found store which is Whole Foods, I really like this store alot. And they carry lots of different oils. So last night I stumbled onto this vegetable glycerin made by NOW solutions.

It says on the label that it does NOT easily oxidize. Can I use this in my cp soaps, body wash and lotions? It doesn't say oil on the label but I'm just wondering....

Glycerin is not an oil -- it is a water soluble chemical. It does not saponify -- it is actually a byproduct of the saponification reaction when you make soap.

Yes, you should be able to use it in soap and B&B products, if it is 100% glycerin. In all of these products, it will be part of your water phase. Glycerin can be sticky in lotions, so you will want to play around with the percentage to find what works best for you.

Glycerin is not an oil -- it is a water soluble chemical. It does not saponify -- it is actually a byproduct of the saponification reaction when you make soap.

Yes, you should be able to use it in soap and B&B products, if it is 100% glycerin. In all of these products, it will be part of your water phase. Glycerin can be sticky in lotions, so you will want to play around with the percentage to find what works best for you.

Hi DeeAnna! Well I waited for a while but then got antsy to make our 2nd cp soap. Hubby & I just poured it into a wood mold using a blue/green swirl on top and FO of Blackberries/Blueberries & Vanilla. It smells yummy n hear now. Can't wait to unmold tomorrow and cut to see how the swirl comes out.

I did however add two tsp of glycerin, vitamin e & the mica color at hard trace. Had to work really quickly after that to get it into the mold :Kitten Love:
So we'll see how it turns out.

Back