Lye Guy having a SPECIAL

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonsMum

Reaction score
Some of you may already be aware of this...but for those of you who are not:

I bought lye from www.thelyeguy.com today and thought I would share what a good deal (I think) I got:

Buy six (6) - 32oz containers and he only charges you for five (5) containers - one is FREE! He charges $5.25 per 32oz container. I paid $5.25 x 5 = $26.25 and the shipping was $15.76. My total was $42.01

6 containers = 196 ounces @ $42.01 = 0.22 per ounce!

I was buying Red Devil lye from ACE Hardware @ $7.57 (includes tax) per 16 oz container which equates to $0.47 per ounce. I just dropped my lye expense by over HALF! :D

I think it's a great price, too! At first I was hesitant about ordering so much lye. I thought it would take forever to use it up.

It's surprising at how quickly I'm going through it. :lol:

I get all my lye from The Lye Guy - great prices and shipping is very low for me since he is in NY and I am in VT. I pay about 19 cents an ounce, including shipping. I could probably save more if I ordered larger amounts (like 50lbs at a time) but I like the convenience of the 2lb containers. Easier to store & use, especially since I have two kids under the age of ten.

I'm confused, I was looking at the link you posted evergreen, and 10 lbs of technical grade is more expensive than 16 lbs of technical grade Must be some kind of mistake?

nevermind, I figured it out...that must be with the hazmet fee already figured in because that's the free shipping. I actually ended up ordering my lye from Camden Grey because I was already ordering palm oil and PKO from them so it turned out to be for around the same price.

BUT for next time thanks for the link evergreen, I am definietly looking into ordering from that place because they are only about an hour away from me....lil road trip, but no shipping/hazmat fee! :D

xraygrl said:
I'm confused, I was looking at the link you posted evergreen, and 10 lbs of technical grade is more expensive than 16 lbs of technical grade Must be some kind of mistake?

I think it's because the shipping on the 10lbs is a flat rate that's included while the 16lbs product listing does not have shipping included.

I don't think thats a special, London'sMum - I am pretty certain that is an 'all the time' special lol.

Thats where I get mine though - love the convenience of the 2 lb container as I have 3 small children as well.

Question about Food Grade Lye

Does it static stick to everything? The container I currently have does. It's frustrating.

Someone mentioned you can buy some unscented fabric softener sheets and wipe the container down before you open it. This would get rid of the static cling.

cwarren said:
Be sure to check your grocery store .. I buy my lye 1lb for 2.39 and no shipping cost last time I bought 5

wow! i buy my lye from the only place in the area that carries it -- a small local hardware store -- at $6.39 not including tax for 1 lb. i'm gonna order from camdengray or the lyeguy! thanks!!!!

Hazel said:
Someone mentioned you can buy some unscented fabric softener sheets and wipe the container down before you open it. This would get rid of the static cling.
I do this with my 50 lb. lye buckets. It does work. I also wipe down my scale and the plastic pitcher with the sheet.

soapbuddy said:
Hazel said:
I do this with my 50 lb. lye buckets. It does work. I also wipe down my scale and the plastic pitcher with the sheet.

Be sure to wipe the inside rim of the top of the bottle as far down as you can comfortably reach as well as the outside. Whipe down inside and outside of whatever you're pouring it into, also. Nothing worse than lye beads pouring out horizontally. :x

BakingNana said:
soapbuddy said:
Hazel said:

Be sure to wipe the inside rim of the top of the bottle as far down as you can comfortably reach as well as the outside. Whipe down inside and outside of whatever you're pouring it into, also. Nothing worse than lye beads pouring out horizontally. :x

Thanks soapbuddy! You were probably the person who mentioned it. :D There's so many tips and advice on this forum that I forget who says what. Sorry about that.

BakingNana - That sounds terrible. Did you end up with a huge caustic mess?

Hazel, now it's kinda funny, but at the time I was ticked. It was the first time I had a shipment in 32 oz. plastic bottles. I started to pour lye into a large plastic cup, and the beads LITERALLY went zooming straight to the side, shooting horizontally right over the top of the cup. I was in the garage using the top of the chest freezer to mix lye, and ya, I had a mess. Probably used most of a jug of vinegar wiping it up. I hit the forum immediately and got the fabric softener sheet tip. No problem since. Thank God I wasn't in the kitchen at the time. I lock up the dogs, but their crates are in a corner of the kitchen and I shudder to think....

Wow! I didn't even think of pets. That could have been really horrible. I wonder why it shot out horizontally. I'm glad it wasn't an area where your dogs could have gotten in it.

I only do small batches and I'm very cautious when I'm working with the lye. Thankfully, none of the animals have bothered me while I'm pouring it. Thanks for mentioning it. This reiterates the importance of being cautious when using lye.

I think the beads were charged on leaving the bottle, and so attracted to the rim of the cup they shot out like little rockets instead of obeying the laws of gravity. I still mix master batch in the garage, but I mix specialty mixtures in the bottom of the laundry room sink even tho everything is wiped down. Cleaning up lye beads is not only not fun, it's next to impossible to get them all.

when working with lye, I spread a terrycloth towel over the surface. make sure it's big enough to catch flying lye beads. the texture of the terrycloth traps the beads, so after I'm done I carefully bundle the towel into the washing machine.

Unscented fabric soften sheets are always by my side when I prepare my lye. I wipe everything down with a sheet, including my scale. It makes a HUGE difference in lye splatter. Try it once and you will never be without those wipes, I promise you.

Back