First syndet shampoo bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I made my first syndet shampoo today with a kit I got from etsy. Came with everything but preservative, scent and color. It even included the actual recipe so I can just buy the ingredients instead of the kit.

It mixed easy, melted quickly in the microwave and was liquid enough to pour. I scented these with 1 part imogene rose and 2 parts BB champagne.

For some reason I was a bit intimidated to try these, maybe it was due to all the unfamiliar ingredients. Now that I know I can do it, its time to make some from scratch.

I like these so much more than liquid shampoo. They aren't as harsh as sulfate poo but more cleansing than sulfate free poo. No conditioner and my hair is soft & shiny.

zuU3QkI.jpg

Very cool! And thanks for the link! I have been wanting to try these, but I've been a little intimidated by the amount of new ingredients needed to make them.

Just Ordered the Kit for myself! I cant wait to try. Thank you for the Link.

I'm a rank noob soap-maker and just, this weekend, made a small syndet shampoo bar batch from scratch – SCI > SLSa >> Other ingredients. Mine ended up nowhere near as pretty as yours, but they do smell delightfully lavender.

I found the initial melting phase (SCI) very slow until I added some of the beta coco liquid to the SCI. Providing a liquid phase clearly helps the solid materials melt.

I did not wear a face mask and found both the dust and the fumes a little discomforting. While I had visions of those inhalants stripping off my lungs’ surfactants I seem to not have suffered any problems.

My final bars, actually hemispheres, ended up with scattered small pearls of imperfections which I suspect are tiny remaining unmelted, or resolidified, SCI. The final product, although not very pretty, is already popular with the family (wife and teens of both genders) as it clearly cleans very effectively … and, well, lavender! Next attempt I plan to increase the conditioning / moisturising aspects, and make sure I have some liquid in the pot to start with … and wear a mask. Other next attempts include CP-soap ‘shampoo’ bars, but that’s an entirely other issue.

___
The attached picture shows two of my 'bars', one cut in half using a knife. The rough face you see on the two halves is the top, upper surface, from when they were in the mould.

Syndet shampoo bars.jpg

Last edited:
from what I understand, most syndet bars are kinda lumpy. This particular recipe gets fairly liquid. The powders/oil and liquid surfactants were mixed then melted. Took about 2 minutes in the microwave, this is the recipe used.

Heated powder ingredients- add colorant here if using, micas work great.
SCI 32%
cetyl alcohol 5%
BTMS25 7%
Incroquat CR 5%
Shea butter (any butter will work) 5%
SLSa 28%

Liquid heated ingredients (mix with powders)
Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate 6%
Cocamidopropyl Betaine 6%

Cool down phase
Silk amino acids 1%
Panthenol 1%
Dimethicone 1%
Cyclomethicone 1%
CTAC 1%
Preservative 1%
Fragrance 1-3%

melt heated phase at 30 second bursts in microwave. Make sure not to burn or overheat, it will puff up and come out of your bowl if you do. Will resemble applesauce when melted.
Cool down to the appropriate temps for your preservative. Add preservative and fragrance, mix well and quickly pour into molds.

I used a double saucepan method with a hemispherical stainless steel bowl sitting in/on a large saucepan of boiling water.

I was going to use a double boiler too but the instructions said it takes a long time and I'm impatient.

This was Super easy and super quick. I tried a bar today and my hair feels great!

syndat bar.jpg

According to the recipe I see on her site she list Propandiol as an ingredient which is hygroscopic like glycerin, so I really wonder how the longevity of the bars are compared to syndets made with just liquid surfs as the main liquid.
I add preservative to my syndet the one oil soluble, just in case

According to the recipe I see on her site she list Propandiol as an ingredient which is hygroscopic like glycerin, so I really wonder how the longevity of the bars are compared to syndets made with just liquid surfs as the main liquid.

The ingredients in the kit are a bit of a mystery.

The ingredients on her site and the Etsy listing are different than the ingredients on the recipe card included in the kit so I don't really know what I'm washing with.

I do know the bars are quite hard until they get wet. Even setting it aside for a few days doesn't really help, they stay soft.

I like them enough to use them up but I won't repurchase the kit or bother with her recipe.

@BLKTea did you get a solid conditioner sample? I did and I think I like it but the scent it so terrible I can't stand to use it. It's nice on the skin too.

Might have to look into a good solid conditioner recipe.

Obsidian mine were kind of soft as long as I had used Shea butter, I had switched to cocoa and right now i use only kokum butter and they are nice , very hard and white. Syndet bar should stay hard not to soften up
There is probably too much liquid in it,

Obsidian mine were kind of soft as long as I had used Shea butter, I had switched to cocoa and right now i use only kokum butter and they are nice , very hard and white. Syndet bar should stay hard not to soften up
There is probably too much liquid in it,
My experience with making shampoo bars, any that are liquid enough to stay pour-able are going to end up getting mushy after a few uses. Hard butters help, but tweaking the emulsifier helps the most. I also preserve mine

I don't know what kind of butter was used in the kit but it was softer so was probably shea.
Here is a question, can these be mixed with water and made into a liquid?
If I try, I would guess I'd need a preservative for water based formula?

Latest posts

Back