What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut the newly named Rose Quartz soap this morning. I could have waited a little longer as it was still on the soft side but I cut anyway. I'm happy with it so far. It will be interesting to see how it turns out as it cures.

I used an ITP swirl and I'm very happy with the swirl. It's pretty much exactly what I had envisioned.

Rose Quartz.jpg

Going Palm Free

with much hesitation and all the quable over palm oil.. ( not happy about this)
I begun 1 year ago palm free.. with coconut soap. everyone loved it.. sf and aloe with silk allowed for a decent bar. customer not worried about the longevity but love the rheology.

So today i created a new formulation. including SFO,CO,CB,SB,SO and OO
with sorbitol in the lye water and a tsp of salt. along with Aloe water accounting for a percentage of the water. 157gm of water and 65 of lye. allowed for a normal thickening. gives me time to swirls etc if i wanted to..

did not add the silk want to see what it did and how it felt first.
I normally use the bar after on mold (i cut a bar in half) and then leave the other have to cure. and compare the 2..

30ml of papaya to 1lb of oils.. still nice and peachy

let see how it fairs..

20180121_152434.jpg

Last edited:
I organized my soap cabinet today; shrink wrapped all the soaps that were good, tossed out a grocery bag full of rancid or near rancid soaps. I have some soaps that are almost 3 years old and they're hard as rocks, smell amazing, and lather beautifully (tried some scraps). I was also reminded, rather painfully, do NOT accidentally grab your heat gun by the barrel. It hurts like heck! (got a 3/4" burn on my thumb)

It feels good to be organized and now my soaps are all in one place and look so pretty!

I cut the newly named Rose Quartz soap this morning. I could have waited a little longer as it was still on the soft side but I cut anyway. I'm happy with it so far. It will be interesting to see how it turns out as it cures.

I used an ITP swirl and I'm very happy with the swirl. It's pretty much exactly what I had envisioned.

Is it just the light, or are those starting to turn purple in the centers? Looks very pretty either way.

Made 6 more loaves of soap, 4 of which are special order or a baby shower. It feels good to have my mojo back. Lots of restocks out these last two weekends. Need to start on scrubs, lip balm, roll-on perfumes and bath fuzzies. No time next weekend as I’m baby sitting my grands. Maybe we’ll do some fizzies

ITP success

Cut the loaf I made yesterday and I’m very pleased with the way the ITP swirl came out. I’ve had challenges in the past getting it into the mold soon enough once i add the white pumice and ground apricot seeds. It’s colored with a mixture of green micas from NS and scented with tea tree and lemongrass. I call it Beekeeper’s Friend because those EOs are often used in herbal supplements for bees and they don’t seem to mind any residual scent from the soap.

I also made my first rimmed soap. Not sure that was quite as successful :-? I’ll cut it tomorrow and see.

E7465144-D87C-4C71-95E8-D4572EB97FDD.jpg

2 soaps today, still playing around with veggie recipes. The first one is an unscented Castille with dual-lye (90 NaOH / 10 KOH) and full vinegar replacement. Soaped like a dream and cut into bars in about 5 hours.

Second one was a 50% OO, 30% CO, 10% Cocoa Butter and 10% Castor. Accelerated really bad on me, argh! Had to mush it into the mold These veggie recipes are a lot trickier than my cooperative lard recipes.

At least the Castille was pretty enough for a picture!

IMG_20180121_140355_448.jpg

Waiting for Hubby to leave for work so I can cut soap. My rimmed soaps seem read to cut. And I took a slab out of the oven in hopes it will be ready as well When I removed it from the mold yesterday it was so soft on the bottom (hard on top) I turned it upside down in the mold and put it back in the oven. I had forgotten that has happened with this mold before making soap too soft on the bottom. I guess it's the nature of using a solid plastic container. It could be partially due to soaping at emulsion, but it's also the plastic mold itself because this has happened with it with other recipes as well. They always harden up eventually. I got it for an easy slab mold substitute last year when traveling and it works fine for that, but certainly has its downside to it. I may have to break down and get a real slab mold one of these days. I don't even have this problem with the little wooden teak box I use for a mini-slab.

Rolling on the floor laughing... I delivered soap, bought a new stick blender, walked into my soap lab - said "Nope" - and walked back out. Didn't even masterbatch oils this weekend. Lusted over some beautiful soaps on Instagram. So much for my big weekend goals... Today I'm filling out craft show applications. Maybe this week will be better once I get some housecleaning done and Christmas decorations packed away...

Cut my gardenia soap

I’m pretty happy with the confetti I added from previous trimmings but had hoped it would be whiter. I may have been timid on adding enough TD. It’s for a family member though and smells like a sultry summer evening. Since she lives on the canadian border, this will still be a welcome hint of the warmth to come when I send it after curing.

3F38D794-6195-4E90-9341-E8C34C90472C.jpg

Latest posts

Back