Blue turned Pink! Why?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue #1 is known to morph in soap; it's not lye-stable.

Actually, pink's unusual. Most of the time mine flares ecclesiastical purple, which is why I use Blue #1 to produce purple soap. However, it may not be done morphing yet--mine sometimes takes time to adjust.

For a stable pale blue, use blue ultramarine and use a light hand on adding it. That stuff is powerful (and inexpensive). For deeper blues, use more and add a very little black iron oxide or activated charcoal.

Take a photo and post it on Soapy Stuff You Did Today!

Some blue micas are also lye stable. Most are based on ultramarine blue, but Nurture Soap has a huge collection of colors and a lot of choices in blue. I've used their greens and so far they're amazingly good.

I made a batch of soap today and I wanted it to be a pale blue swirled with white. I was going to call it Ice Queen. Everything went exactly as planned but my FD&C blue turned pink! Any thoughts as to why?

HERE A HINT. keep a jar of lye water ready to go..
fill little medicine cups with some of this water and plop in there your colorant you are using. you will be able to see quickly what color it will turn :)

Back