Fresh buttermilk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isha

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm planning to make a 100% water replacement with fresh buttermilk . Is it a good idea?? It's sour and has a citrussy smell.

Has anyone tried with fresh buttermilk??
What can I expect while soaping? What FO would suit with it? Would it smell strange or bad if unscented..??
Kindly suggest. I'm all open ears.
I read most of the post on buttermilk. But they were with powdered buttermilk as additives...

I would love to use fresh buttermilk. It's weighed n currently freezing
Thanks

I have used store-bought buttermilk, freezing it into cubes and then letting the lye melt the milk when slowly adding it and stirring.

As for that smell, it soaped out eventually. I don't really recall what fragrances I used, though. In some cases, none, and the smell of the milk did not linger once well cured.

Mine has a sour cream smell so wondering if I should leave it as it is or add some fo

I've used fresh buttermilk, but not as a 100% replacement. I scented with lemongrass and mint for one batch and orange and eucalyptus for another (essential oils). I didn't notice any smell, but the buttermilk was added to the oils, not the NaOH.

Latest posts

Back