50:50 Dual Lye liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
I am proud of the result of my 50:50 dual lye liquid soap? Very clear in person and the lathers is stable compared in same recipe using only koh.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1501136896.791142.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1501136909.286914.jpg

Soap looks really nice.
When I used dual lye I did find that diluted soap was indeed considerably thicker? I also found that during periods of cold weather it would cloud up to opaque and then clear again to translucent when temperature had raised again.

Help

I have a question about liquid soap and can't figure out how to post it so am replying to another post. My apologies.
I want to make liquid soap without coconut oil. I am in Greece and have lots of olive oil but hard to find coconut oil and it's expensive. If I don't care about clarity, could I switch out lard for the coconut oil in a recipe that is primarily olive oil?

Coconut oil is used to make the liquid soap lather more freely. Palm kernel oil acts similar to coconut oil -- it adds bubbles too -- so PKO is more of a direct substitute for CO.

You can omit the coconut oil and the soap will still clean; it just won't bubble a lot. Lard is not really a direct substitute for coconut oil, but, yes, you can use lard in liquid soap.

You could also try 100% olive oil to make liquid soap, but the oleic acid content of this soap will be high -- about 70%. I think it is better to include other fats (including lard) so the oleic acid content of the soap is under 60% and preferably closer to 50%. In my experience, a liquid soap with oleic acid over 60% requires so much water to dilute to a pourable consistency that the soap does not clean well.

I have a question about liquid soap and can't figure out how to post it so am replying to another post. My apologies.
I want to make liquid soap without coconut oil. I am in Greece and have lots of olive oil but hard to find coconut oil and it's expensive. If I don't care about clarity, could I switch out lard for the coconut oil in a recipe that is primarily olive oil?

I made 100% olive liquid soap it’s so thick but the only problem is the bubbles not much and about cleaning power it’s ok. If you’re not bother that it’s not bubbly and 100% olive oil it’s ok for you.

Coconut oil is used to make the liquid soap lather more freely. Palm kernel oil acts similar to coconut oil -- it adds bubbles too -- so PKO is more of a direct substitute for CO.

You can omit the coconut oil and the soap will still clean; it just won't bubble a lot. Lard is not really a direct substitute for coconut oil, but, yes, you can use lard in liquid soap.

You could also try 100% olive oil to make liquid soap, but the oleic acid content of this soap will be high -- about 70%. I think it is better to include other fats (including lard) so the oleic acid content of the soap is under 60% and preferably closer to 50%. In my experience, a liquid soap with oleic acid over 60% requires so much water to dilute to a pourable consistency that the soap does not clean well.

^^^This! But if you want clear soap, don't use lard. It makes a great liquid soap, it just isn't very pretty.

When you click the forum you want to post in, look at the top of the list of threads, there should be a "New Thread" blue icon on the top left of the screen. Just click that and it will open a box to type in.

Back