Salve question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyone80

Reaction score
So when making a salve, which of these butters would make it greasy and not absorb good if used too much? Cocoa butter or shea butter?

I've never made salves, but for what it's worth, shea butter feels 'greasier' to me than cocoa butter in my body butter.

IrishLass :)

In my salves I use a little of both, you have to play with the proportions and how well they absorb into your skin. At first I didn't use them, just infused herbal oils, but I found that a little shea and cocoa butter added a nice feel to the finished product and it was absorbed into the skin faster instead of just laying on top and feeling greasy.

I want to make a version of these two Dandelion Salve recipes http://thenerdyfarmwife.com/dandelion-salve-recipe/
http://montanahomesteader.com/make-dandelion-salve/

I make a cuticle healing salve now that has both shea, cocoa, sunflower oil and sweet almond oil in it and to me it is the perfect consistency and not too greasy.

The recipe for the dandelion salve only uses 2-3 ingredients and I'm afraid that it will be greasy with just using the infused oil &/or coconut oil. So I'm trying to play with what other ingredients to add to the original recipes without making it greasier or something to add to soak up some of the grease. Hope that makes sense.

I use only infused oils and essential oils. beeswax of course. I make anti itch salve (mosquito season) with peppermint only and it is wonderful. with salves it better to use less than too much. Keep the butter guys for lotions and creams:)) They are occluding when Olive oil gets absorbed by skin easily. I think butters will stop the carrier to deliver EO
Oh I got lanolin must add to next one :)

Last edited:
You can try adding tapioca starch to the oils. It really helps cut the greasy feeling. Also, if you are not opposed to using IPM, it does a nice job of cutting down on the greasy feeling, as well as helps the active ingredients penetrate into the skin.

Why people talk about adding starch to lotion or body butters?

starch is a filler, in hamburgers and other foods. Beside most of it is GM
I prefer IPM much more than starch with a lot of pesticides in it.
This is one of the reason I make everything by myself.....would not risk buying something like that

I mostly use shea butter with infused olive oil and a little beeswax and lanolin.
what percentage you use for lanolin. I have it, but I have no idea how to work with it:))
I checked swiftmonkey blog but she does not say the percentage either. Strange she always does

Last edited:
Thank you so much ISG, I will try it, maybe I am not allergic to it:)) I add less, I think I will warm some of my pain killer salve and add some. It probably would carry it into skin:)) Thank you

I did the dandelion salve, I infused my dandelions in olive oil in my machine first, added beeswax and essential oils and it set up nicely

Why people talk about adding starch to lotion or body butters?

starch is a filler, in hamburgers and other foods. Beside most of it is GM
I prefer IPM much more than starch with a lot of pesticides in it.
This is one of the reason I make everything by myself.....would not risk buying something like that
What is IPM?

Back