Infused oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Can i get the same fragrance from infused oil or close to as i would w/essential oils

No. With infused oils the scent almost never survives the saponification process. I use infused oils for the color.

Resurrecting an old thread here with another question. So the scent of an infused oil would not survive saponification, but would it last in body scrubs/butters/lotions that are not CP? Thanks!

I am currently in the process of trying this. My rosemary infused EVOO does leave some scent in my soap, but the soap is still soft after 4 weeks. ( combined with high percentage of olive oil.) I also added tea tree EO and the soap smells so divine! I use it as "liquid" soap, I mix a little of the soap with water.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I have used infusions in a few of my soaps and have not had the scent survive past the cure process. Others with more experience may have a solution though.

My experience is pretty much the same as kazmi .... Almost any fragrance that's lasted through saponification hasn't survived the cure.

The only (sort of) exception in my experience was some dried hibiscus flowers - which I added at trace, but didn't infuse before adding to the soap. They have left a faint scent in the soap, and it's now about 3 months. But the scent is very faint.

My experience is pretty much the same as kazmi .... Almost any fragrance that's lasted through saponification hasn't survived the cure.

The only (sort of) exception in my experience was some dried hibiscus flowers - which I added at trace, but didn't infuse before adding to the soap. They have left a faint scent in the soap, and it's now about 3 months. But the scent is very faint.

What about other products like lip balms and such?

I think given the time, the scent will fade. :(

If you make leave on products that don't contain lye, the scent should survive better.

However, make sure you use an adequate % of preservatives as the addition of botanicals makes products harder to preserve.

I usually don't have any fragrance in my infused oils. But I like using them in my soaps.

Back