aquarium sea salt vs food sea salt?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytreats

Reaction score
So I found a huge bag of aquarium sea salt at Petsmart, and I'm wondering if it's safe to use in bath salts. I asked a rep at Petsmart if it was just pure sea salt, and he said yes. So I'm going to assume that it's safe for me to bathe in.
There are no ingredients listed on the bag. Except there is a warning that says not for human consumption...

I had multiple reef tanks & when I would work in the aquariums the salt left my skin feeling gross & dry. I wouldn't try to use it in any bath product.

This is a guess but I'm going to go with no, it's not safe for bath salts.

Which is incredibly interesting to me--if its safe for fish why not humans? One would think that their skin is much more delicate than ours...very interesting. :think:

Contact the company directly and see how it's processed before proceeding.

I called Persmart and asked to speak to someone in aquariums. She said it was fine to use in a bath. She also did suggest mixing it with Epsom salt HAHA. But I thought I'd let everyone know.

I'm sure it's safe as a bath salt, you have to touch it to put it in the tank. I'm curious as to if the price is worthwhile. 5 lbs of sea salt for bathing is $10 at hobby lobby. $5 for the same amount of epsom salt.

Which is incredibly interesting to me--if its safe for fish why not humans? One would think that their skin is much more delicate than ours...very interesting. :think:

Contact the company directly and see how it's processed before proceeding.

Reef tanks have to have specific temperatures and pH to function well. There's probably trace additives that aren't good for humans. Could also be that they are covering bases or conforming to labeling requirements. I personally wouldn't use something manufactured for non human use on myself, and particularly non-mammal formulations. Just seems wrong.

Latest posts

Back