How to melt beeswax?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonstudy

Reaction score
I tried making my first lotion bar last night, and it was a total disaster. I used a large pot to boil water with a double boiler thing under it. I used a glass mason jar to hold the oils, and the whole thing shattered. Any tips on what I should do next time? I poured the water oil mix into a large bowl, so now I have a lotion pancake.

You don't want the water boiling underneath. Just a slow simmer is plenty to melt the beeswax. I also recommend putting a washcloth in the bottom before putting in the canning jar. Too much heat for the jar is what caused it to break.

What Shari ^^^ said or your jar had a slight fracture, since A teeny tiny fracture can cause a problem. When canning water is over the jars not just in the bottom of the pan. You want your simmering water level as close to the top of your ingredients as possible without getting water in your jar. . You take out the pancake, dry it well and reuse the oil mix. Did you immerse your jar in the boiling water or put it in a bring it up to temp. Even with mason jars they should not be immersed when cold. Also do not tighten down the jar ring if you are using one

beeswax will not make lotion, it does not emulsify. excellent for salves though, When using water you need an emulsifier like e-wax or any other. with beeswax you will have immediate separation

beeswax will not make lotion, it does not emulsify. excellent for salves though, When using water you need an emulsifier like e-wax or any other. with beeswax you will have immediate separation

They are making solid lotion bar. Was using water for double boiler to melt it.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll try re-melting my dried-off pancake. I have a large glass pyrex measuring cup, so maybe I'll put it in that. Do microwave 80% power, 1 min at a time. Think that would work?

When I'm using beeswax I just make a 'double boiler' out of a sauce pan filled with a couple inches of water and a stainless steel bowl set over the top (it does not fit snugly, there's space for steam to vent) with my oils/butters/beeswax in (I microwave everything else). I simmer the water, never boil, probably at about medium heat. The bottom of the steel bowl warms up enough to melt everything, including the beeswax, but I can still grab the rim of it with bare fingers. Just mind the steam once everything is melted and you want to move the bowl to a trivet or heating pad to get it off the hot water.

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll try re-melting my dried-off pancake. I have a large glass pyrex measuring cup, so maybe I'll put it in that. Do microwave 80% power, 1 min at a time. Think that would work?

I have no idea how to change the power on my microwave, so I really can't tell you what percent or power I use. Just try it in 1-minute bursts and see what happens. For my microwave, I do a few 2 minute bursts and let it sit for a bit to give everything time to melt.

Latest posts

Back