A Good Loaf Decoration Soap Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolveria

Reaction score
I created this soap to help me with my layer creation. I needed a soap that did not set quickly. Trace to a while.
I normally separate 1 pound and mix one while the other sit a waits for me to color etc.

The lye at 120 and the oil at 90 ..
I do not wait to trace to add my Red 28 or any color to this batter.
I also have a double boiler going.
If you are adding things to suspend IE poppy etc wait to thick trace.
To hasten trace place in double boiler and use mixer.

Coconut oil 40%
Olive Oil 25%
Soybean Oil 25%
Stearic Acid 2%
Lard ( pig or beef ) 8%

fragrance at 0.5 ( I use extreme pure fragrance)
super fat at 5 %

Thanks for sharing this. I was looking through the recipes trying to find a reliable, stable, but economical recipe to produce. I like my recipe which is similar to yours but it isn't economical -- not terribly expensive but not cheap either.

so what oils would I use to make a good moisturizing soap? i am currently using olive oil and coconut oil. I would like something more "greasy". I also made a HP soap with beef tallow and canola oil. which is better for dry skin and moisturizing to the skin?

That much CO would make me peel like a snake, unfortunately. I really like the bubbly effects of CO, I wish I could use it in higher amounts (usually stick to no more than 15-18%), but alas, it is not possible. Debikers, I have one word for you: lard. It is not greasy in soap, but man, does it make a nice, non-stripping bar w/rich, creamy lather.

Last edited:
i have been looking at lard recipes. should i add lard to my existing recipes or just use a lard only recipe??? and thank You!!!!!!

I am one of the resident lard fanatics (there are a lot of lard fans here, you will see!), so I use it in high amounts (usually b/w 60-75%.) I add 7-8% castor, and then more or less split the remainder b/w OO/Avocado and CO (I do like to keep the CO at a minimum of 13-15% to give the castor more to work with in terms of bubbles). As much as I love lard, I think adding in other oils just creates a certain synergy that makes the bar so much nicer.

ETA: For what you are looking for, you are going to want to keep your cleansing numbers low, and your conditioning numbers higher, on the soap calcs. I have super dry skin, and keep the cleansing numbers in the v. low teens. That does not mean the soap won't clean - all soap will clean you up - really it generally goes to the fact that it won't melt as fast (the high cleansing oils usually do), which, IMO, is a good thing. You get less extravagant bubbling, but it is worth the trade off to me.

Last edited:
so lard. How is it different from beef tallow? i used beef tallow and liked it. how will my soap differ using lard?

I like tallow, just not as much as lard. The good thing is that it makes the bar really hard, but I find it less moisturizing/a tad bit more stripping than lard, and the lather is less creamy. Also, it traces a little faster, if you are doing swirls (lard is generally pretty slow to trace.) I think a lot of people find it is kind of perfect to mix the two, there have been some posts about that here recently w/recipes that I want to try myself.

not_Ally, i am running these numbers through soapcalc. what do you think?

lard 50%
olive oil 20%
coconut oil 20%
castor oil 10%
lye 2.24 0z
water 6.08 oz

hardness 40
cleansing 14
conditioning 54
bubbly 23
creamy 35

I'd try the first one first. Then maybe the second after to see which you prefer. It will be a good way to see how you feel about the olive, since that will be the only difference. You really are going about it the right way :)

thanks not_ally!! i love that i can get help from a fellow soaper. I am rattling my brains right now on soapcalc to try a recipe i got from pure and natural soaps. I cant get the % right on anything!!!! its driving me crazy

That first recipe is pretty close to the one that you will see recommended over and over here to beginning soapers. It will make a darn good bar of soap, is easy to do (won't trace) fast, sets up well, it is just a really nice soap to start with. Often people starting out will use a bunch of different oils at the same time and then, even if they do end up with something they like, they are really not sure what each oil is bringing to the party, or how they interact. I didn't go crazy with the oils, but I was really happy when I settled into my lard/CO/OO/castor groove. I change things here and there and with additives, but that basic mix is perfect for me and my dry skin.

This is a great place to get help from fellow soapers, people are really generous and helpful. I am glad that you are here!

What is the problem w/the other recipe and soapcalc?

Back