help with making translucent soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m tryin got learn more about translucent soap and found this thread. This is what I’m thinking about trying.

This thread predates my membership. Why not make a new thread? When/if you try this, it can be more about you, your process, your concerns, and what you learned about making translucent soap.

I’m tryin got learn more about translucent soap and found this thread. This is what I’m thinking about trying.
Hi TashaBird. This thread is about making translucent soap/M&P. The ingredients and the way they are added in that video is for making transparent soap. I speak from experience. One of the first soaps I made back in 2004 was a transparent and I made them for years.

My technique was different from the video: Make the soap CP. Cure 2 weeks. Grate up. Add the polyol mix of 90 Proof Ethanol (aka grain alcohol, Everclear) plus simple sugar syrup plus glycerin. Pour over the gratings and cook until a thin skin forms on top. Push skin aside to add fragrance & liquid colorant. Pour into pretty individual cavity molds. Put in freezer for one hour. Unmold.

Made lovely, skin friendly soap -- not drying at all. I found this pic in my files. It's the only one I could find. :rolleyes: Those are molds from Michael's. Not my best work, but you get the idea.

1611449364429.png

Why not make a new thread? When/if you try this, it can be more about you, your process, your concerns, and what you learned about making translucent soap.
Ditto. ;)

Last edited:
Hi TashaBird. This thread is about making translucent soap/M&P. The ingredients and the way they are added in that video is for making transparent soap. I speak from experience. One of the first soaps I made back in 2004 was a transparent and I made them for years.

My technique was different from the video: Make the soap CP. Cure 2 weeks. Grate up. Add the polyol mix of 90 Proof Ethanol (aka grain alcohol, Everclear) plus simple sugar syrup plus glycerin. Pour over the gratings and cook until a thin skin forms on top. Push skin aside to add fragrance & liquid colorant. Pour into pretty individual cavity molds. Put in freezer for one hour. Unmold.

Made lovely, skin friendly soap -- not drying at all. I found this pic in my files. It's the only one I could find. :rolleyes: Those are molds from Michael's. Not my best work, but you get the idea.

View attachment 53455

Ditto. ;)
Thank you! That’s good to hear. LovinSoap had a sale for her E-classes %50 off, so I bought her class on making clear CP. It sounded so overwhelming and complicated, but your quick summary gave me some perspective! I’m excited to try it. I just have to get all the ingredients, and finish watching reading all the info!

Thank you! That’s good to hear. LovinSoap had a sale for her E-classes %50 off, so I bought her class on making clear CP. It sounded so overwhelming and complicated, but your quick summary gave me some perspective! I’m excited to try it. I just have to get all the ingredients, and finish watching reading all the info!
You're so very welcome!
Amanda's classes are excellent plus the money she and her husband make go to support their mission work to teach soap making in 3rd world countries to raise the living standard for women and subsequently their children.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding ingredients except for the 190 proof Everclear (95% alcohol by volume). I have to ask for it at our local liquor store. Some states don't have 190 proof but do have 150 proof (75% alcohol by volume). I understand from online discussions that works too. I'm guessing Amanda will cover this in her class.

One other thing to be prepared for... once the polyol mix is added and the batch cooked the result is watery thin. You can't imagine that it will turn into hard bars but it does! 😁

Also, unless things have changed, I allowed 12 weeks/3 months for the bars to clear.

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!

ETA:
IMG_1380.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back