Sat bar recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salt bar recipes are some of the easiest, I like 80% coconut oil, 80% oil weight of salt, and 20% superfat. The rest you can do as you like.

My first salt bar was 80% coconut oil, 15% shea and 5% castor, with 20% superfat and 80% of the weight of oils as salt. I did a gradient with turmeric as the coloring and I just love it for its gentleness and moisturizing, as does my chiropractor. My second bar used 15% olive oil instead of the shea, and I think I like it more - I even wash my hair with it! Its more cleansing than the first while still being lovely and soothing. Try either of those, maybe even split that 15% between the OO and the Shea.

Last edited:
Salt bar recipes are some of the easiest, I like 80% coconut oil, 80% oil weight of salt, and 20% superfat. The rest you can do as you like.

My first salt bar was 80% coconut oil, 15% shea and 5% castor, with 20% superfat and 80% of the weight of oils as salt. I did a gradient with turmeric as the coloring and I just love it for its gentleness and moisturizing, as does my chiropractor. My second bar used 15% olive oil instead of the shea, and I think I like it more - I even wash my hair with it! Its more cleansing than the first while still being lovely and soothing. Try either of those, maybe even split that 15% between the OO and the Shea.

WOW, sounds wonderful!! I know this sounds stupid, but what do you add as liquid for the lye to mix with?? The coconut oil?? And you like the olive oil better than the shea? Interesting.
Thank you for sharing. :)

Kathie

My liquid on the first two bars the liquid was just plain water, and I don't discount the water, just use the default on soap calc. I've just done two more salt bars, one with half water for dissolving the lye, and then half coconut milk. The other was all coconut milk. All I can report right now is that its a lot easier to use just water or at least half water for dissolving the lye.

Kathie/Kmarvel - once you have a recipe you think you like on soap calc, post it here and let everyone give their advice before you do it. It helps a lot to prevent mistakes on a first try.

I am still waiting for some of my salt bars to cure but I recently tried my 80% coconut oil, 15% avocado oil, and 5% castor oil and really like it. I used 100% salt to my oils.

Oh I would be interested to hear what you think of the Avocado oil! I used 15% hemp on my last batch.

Ok! Next salt bar will be avocado oil and avocado puree! Hmm to get more green should I sneak a little hemp oil in? Or use some chromium green oxide? Or spinach!! Gah, Ill wait to see whats on hand when I do :)

My last hemp and coconut milk bars are only a couple weeks old. One I screwed up and only did 5% SF, so that one might well end up being the grubby scrubby hands boat soap, Im hoping the fat from the CM may save it in some manner.

Thanks Seawolfe.

Going to use the olive oil instead of the shea.

Kathie

Hi Seawolfe,

Do I cover the mold with towels for a couple of hours before I take the soap out and cut them into bars?? I know the soap sets up pretty quick and they will crumble if you wait too long.

Kathie

So.......80% of salt to the recipe?? If I have 35 oz of oil I should have 35 oz of salt, correct??

I Just put the lid on my wooden mold and tossed a towel over it for about an hour or two, then opened it up because by then its done gelling and needs to start cooling. The last two were firm enough to cut in a few hours but very hot to hold! I dont think that covering or not covering is a big deal - it will do its thing either way.

And ya 80% of the oil weight in salt - so if the total oil weight is 1000 grams, the salt would be 800 grams.

I like my lard, castor and CO recipe best.
And I do 75-100% salt depending on which salt I use and coloring I'm planning.

Pink Himalayan Sea Salt Bar
Coconut oil 77
Coconut Milk, frozen 8
Caster 8
Shea 7
SF 20
64 oz oils
Unscented
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt 50% = 32 oz

Unmolded 18 hours later, popped right out, just a few wrinkles?, gaps?

pink Salt Bar .jpg

Pink Himalayan Sea Salt Bar
Coconut oil 77
Coconut Milk, frozen 8
Caster 8
Shea 7
SF 20
64 oz oils
Unscented
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt 50% = 32 oz

Unmolded 18 hours later, popped right out, just a few wrinkles?, gaps?

Wow you can count the Coconut milk as a fat in with the oils? How does that work? I only counted it as a liquid and not a fat because I have no clue how much fat is in coconut milk.

Latest posts

Back