Beef fat - rendering question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
You may have seen my post last weekend about the beef fat I got from my local butchers.

I rendered roughly a quarter to a half and left the rest in the bag in the outside shed - it's been about 6 degrees c here on average this week so thought cold enough

I've just been out to get it to render more and I think it's starting to smell bad - don't get me wrong it didn't smell great before but it kind of has a sour smell now

I've got a pot on now rendering but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time?

Shall I just render and check the smell again when it's done?

Unfortunately I agree. If I have a hint of funky smell beyond the typical, or if the fat has turned that grayish color, I pitch it.

Gives the coyotes and turkey vultures something to get excited about lol.

The op says "6 deg C" not 60 F - thats quite cold and should be good no? Thats only 42 F - refrigerator temps

When you have extra fat just freeze it, or you have to put it in fridge but not longer than two to three days. Othewise it is not good. Typical fridge has temps of 2 - 4 Celsius. Mine is set on 4 and I would not keep raw fat longer than two day before working with it:) Next time you will know:)

Omg! I have never smelt anything so bad in my life. It smelt sour before but after melting and starting to render it seemed to intensify the stench!!

I'm just glad I managed to render a big chunk of it last weekend - when I pick the rest up from the butcher it will go straight from his freezer to mine

Lesson learnt!! Feel pretty gutted I've wasted this fat

The op says "6 deg C" not 60 F - thats quite cold and should be good no? Thats only 42 F - refrigerator temps

I think in Fahrenheit, so I converted it online. But food safe temperatures are 40F or below, or 140F or above. I know she is not eating this, but the issue is still rotting and bacteria growth. Then you get that smell...

Personally I treat lard just like I would do with normal meat. There is a drawer in the refrigerator that is working at 1°C, where I put lard between all its stages: from cleaning / cutting it to rendering it.
Only the final lard can stay outside for a few cold weeks.
Nikos

Latest posts

Back