"Earthy" scent recommendations?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tersh79

Reaction score
A friend of mine was interested in a custom batch of soap -- she's interested in "something earthy, with citrus notes." Thought I'd get some feedback on some good scent options to suggest! I think she'll probably want EOs, but happy to hear suggestions on FOs too.

Thanks y'all!

Patchouli and cedar are both as "earthy" as they come, for me! And both are great with citrus! Cedar and lemongrass is one of my favorites!

I just did a 60% citrus / 40% patchouli that came out nice. It started cure smelling mostly of citrus, 2 weeks in now and the patchouli is coming through. I figure by the end of cure it will be more patchouli than citrus, which is what I was aiming for.

Another nice earthy kinda base note could be frankincense.

Last edited:
I agree with the ones mentioned above and would add sandalwood, dragon's blood (maybe), oakmoss, myrrh, Cracklin' Birch (NG), Dirt FO (people really like it in blends with Grass and others), some of the Oak FO's, SPiced Mahogany (BB), Nag Champa, maybe Pepper EO.

I made a patchouli orange (my first soap, actually) that is 35% patchouli eo and 65% 10x orange eo from BB. I used it at .5 oz PPO. It has the great earthiness of patchouli and the light tang of orange, and it seems so far (about 4 weeks) that the patchouli is anchoring the orange very well. Am using a sample now and even though patchouli is not my favorite, it smells very good. Someone I know who loves patchouli absolutely loves the way it smells.

Latest posts

Back