Non Toxic Nail Polish Base?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

requisiterose

Reaction score
I'm looking for a non toxic nail polish base. I see "natural" nail polishes being sold on Etsy, but I can't find a base anywhere. Or do they make their own? I can't even find a starter recipe.

Apparently the base doesn't have that overpowering chemical smell, so I'd definitely like to find some. Any suggestions? And does the non toxic nail polish feel like the regular chemical one or slightly different?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I might be able to answer some of your nail polish questions. I am brand new to making soap and body products but when it comes to nails I am definitely not new :) I am and have been a licensed manicurist (nail tech) since 1997 and when it comes to nails and nail products I have an extensive knowledge base.

So let's start off with some myths and misnomers (though you never asked about this it may help you in formulating.) First nails do not breathe. I know a lot of people think that but it simply is not true. Nails,as well as hair, is made from a protein called keratin. And are dead cells. They are not living and have no need to breathe. As a funny aside story, I remember asking my cosmetology teacher this very same question on my very first day of school. I asked her how often nail polish should be changed and how long should clients go without wearing anything on their nails so the nails can breathe? And she looked at me all serious and said " if nails can breathe, show me where your nails lungs are at."
As I sat there studying my nails intensely looking for movement. Lol. She said " nails don't have lungs and can't breathe and if they did have lungs and could breathe ,then every time you polished your nails or colored your hair ,you would hear them coughing and gasping for breath!! hahaha lol. I felt so stupid but it was a good lesson.
Anyways, that story and info she passed along that day is something I have never forgotten and it helps when you start discussing "toxic" nail polish and things to have that knowledge information in mind.
So with that being said, it is true that nails do absorb "Some" things and I stress the "some" part because that's very important. For anything to get through the layers on the nails it has to have a very small molecular structure. That's why some cuticle and nail oils are better at conditioning then others. because they are just to heavy and have too large of a molecular structure to penetrate the nail in order to do what we need it to do. which is to condition the nail and make it more flexible to withstand some abuse so the nails won't break as easy.but in order to do that it has to be light weight and have small molecules to get through the layers of the nail so it can be absorbed. But even then the oil used will only absorb through so many layers. One of the very BEST oils to get the job done in order to get the nail conditioned so it's more flexible is jojoba oil!! For real that stuff is so amazing because it can penetrate the nail and do it's job. That's why the brand "Solar oil" nail and cuticle oil made by CND got so big and famous is because they promoted the fact that it was made with jojoba oil. And I personally won't use a cuticle or nail oil without that in there. And the reason being is It has to do what I need it to do and that is to penetrate some of the nails layers.
Now I am not saying it can't have other things in there like sweet almond oil, and vitamin e. Both of those as well as other ingredients are great too and are included in the very best nail and cuticle oils. it's not just the jojoba, we need other stuff too to make a great nail oil.

So now for nail polish ingredients that we do NOT like are mainly the big three uglies which are no dibutyl Phthalate, Toulene, and Formaldehyde. And the " five free" are NO Dibutyl Phthalates, Toulene, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin and camphor. This is what our clients do not like in their polishes and those who are looking for a more natural nail polish do not want to see in their nail polish brand formulation. So when looking for what some consider less "toxic" polish you need to watch out for and ask the company if the base is free from those key specific ingredients. Also when inquiring about their nail polish base or polishes in general if you simply ask " is it 3 free"or " five free" they will know what you are talking about. And if for some unknown reason they don't, just walk away. Anyone who is in the biz knows what 3 free and five free mean when it comes to nail polishes.

As far as people promoting "all natural" polishes?? I just don't agree with that practice. Nail polishes are all made from synthetics or have some form of synthetics in them. So I think to call them all natural ,is in my opinion, wrong and bad business. But as far as saying that they are 3 free or five free would be fine and great. Some of the best nail polishes on the market that don't have those specific synthetics in them promote it that way.
This became a novel. Lol. So sorry for rambling. When it comes to nails I can be, shall we say, long winded :oops::razz: haha. Anyways, hope it helps. And if you need a supplier for a base that is 3 free I do know of one. I don't think you have to be licensed to buy from them either. I would post it on here but not sure if I can, I am new and don't want to be in trouble just yet. Lol
Paula
"sprklngsaphire"

Paula - Thank you for such a thorough answer! I feel like I can make a much more informed decision now about what kind of nail polish base I want to use. I believe based on reading the forum rules that it is fine for you to post about your supplier as long as you don't have a vested interest in their business. The part about nails not having lungs is still making me laugh. I know skin breathes and doesn't have lungs, but it is still funny :).

Paula - Thank you for such a thorough answer! I feel like I can make a much more informed decision now about what kind of nail polish base I want to use. I believe based on reading the forum rules that it is fine for you to post about your supplier as long as you don't have a vested interest in their business. The part about nails not having lungs is still making me laugh. I know skin breathes and doesn't have lungs, but it is still funny :).
Hi jencat:wave:
Glad you liked the info I hope it helps. And the story about the lungs is all true, it really did happen on my first day of school. Which if I was to humiliate myself then of course it would have to be the very first day!! When your trying to make a great impression and all lol. I sure did leave an impression just not the one intended. Hahaha.
Anyways, okay the companies you can check out are as follows

Shebanails ( might need a license, not sure. Look under "franken polish")

Nailiteinc ( again might need a license but worth a check. Listed under "franken polish")- Their website is down today for maintenance . So if you look and the site is down, make sure to check back later.

Then you have the companies you all know too where you can find a base for making your own polishes which are TKB trading, Brambleberry and Voyager soap and candle.
If the base is 3 free they usually have it listed, I think one of the companies I gave you here, also have 5 free, but I don't recall which one off the top of my head.

Thank you! The ones at TKB are 5 free franken polish. I'll have to check out the companies you mentioned and see who I can order from that has the best prices.

Back