Lotion bars wouldn't set

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I made a batch of lotion bars, using 30% Shea and 70% cocoa butter. Mixed in a glass bowl over a saucepan as usual.

After a full day in chilly temperature - they weren't set. I put the mould in a sink of cold water over night - still not set.

The liquid is cold, but still liquid. Curious indeed.

I did try 2 new scent mixtures - 3x lavender and 1 x lemongrass in half the mix, 2x black pepper to 1x mandarin in the other. Nothing totally new and outrages (smells lovely, though!)

Would appreciate thoughts on it all. I popped it in to the fridge which seemed to be working when I left for work, so can see tonight how they are

You probably need some wax in there. Or wait a lot longer. Melted CB takes awhile to come back to full hardness (and it will never be AS hard with shea mixed into it). I always use wax in lotion bars.

I tried to make a bath melt with shea and cocoa one night and i had the same problem. I believe it took two or three days before it was solid enough to pick up. This was even after I had put them in the fridge.

I've never made or seen lotion bars with just butters. Perhaps that is the problem. I've only seen lotion bars made with butters, oils and beeswax. That's how I make mine anyways. I could be wrong though...maybe they do exist.

I have made them before and they are hand-meltable at room temp (ideal for purpose, maybe a little bit too melty). I might well look at adding in a % of Beeswax for a test batch and see what people think.

Would 5% be a good number, or more like 10%?

I would start with 5-10% since it sounds like you want them on the softer side. I don't have my recipe here as I'm at my full time job. I use about 30% if I'm not mistaken....could be though.

Latest posts

Back