~*~ SMF January 2017 Challenge - Gradient Layer! ~*~
~ January 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Recipe Feedback > learning update, Lard recipe feedback?

Old 01-11-2017, 12:15 AM   #11
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1486 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 550

40% lye concentration is usually for very high amounts of olive oil (or other high oleic oils) because they trace so slowly. There's nothing wrong with using 40% for this recipe - it's a slow tracer at 33%, I haven't done 40% with that type of recipe. If you want to do lots of colors and swirls, I'd lower
the concentration, although for a couple of colors and nice swirl I [I]think[I] you'll be fine. I would like to hear what others say....?

People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #12
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 5307 Times on 2806 Posts
Likes Given: 3639

I use between either a 40% or 45% lye concentration with my 100% Castiles (depending on my FO).

IrishLass

leilaninoel Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
The Efficacious Gentleman
Lifetime Supporting Member
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7118 Times on 3493 Posts
Likes Given: 3490

I would also say that if you are going to be thinking about looking at possibly selling in the future, please do it because you actually want to sell soap rather than for covering costs of a hobby.
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #14
leilaninoel
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Efficacious Gentleman View Post
I would also say that if you are going to be thinking about looking at possibly selling in the future, please do it because you actually want to sell soap rather than for covering costs of a hobby.

Currently I give all my soaps away for free to family, friends, and coworkers. I have had many recipients try to pay, but I convince them they are just test bars/market research. My only issues with selling are 1) I don't want to profit off of anyone, and 2) I will never feel like they are good enough to charge someone.

That being said, if I do start to sell I will likely donate all profits various charities I support. Thinking about it in terms of being able to give more to causes I really care about, I actually really like the idea and it would solve the first problem, but then there is still that 2nd issue. We'll see.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6056 Times on 3451 Posts
Likes Given: 12898

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaninoel View Post
Currently I give all my soaps away for free to family, friends, and coworkers. I have had many recipients try to pay, but I convince them they are just test bars/market research. My only issues with selling are 1) I don't want to profit off of anyone, and 2) I will never feel like they are good enough to charge someone.

That being said, if I do start to sell I will likely donate all profits various charities I support. Thinking about it in terms of being able to give more to causes I really care about, I actually really like the idea and it would solve the first problem, but then there is still that 2nd issue. We'll see.
If that is your motivation, then go for it! Remember that you can even donate soap to homeless shelters and food banks, just call them to see if they have any preferences before delivering.

Just realize that making soap for money changes your hobby to a business whether you want it to or not. It switches channels in your mind. Don't be surprised when your fun becomes not so much fun any more. I am on the verge of selling, and I assure you that it has changed how I look at my soap and recipes tremendously.