~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Fragrance Oils/Fragrance reviews > Darkest discoloring FO?

Old 01-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #1
dixiedragon

Liked 3706 Times on 2139 Posts
Likes Given: 1642

Default Darkest discoloring FO?

I was thinking about Jade-15's coal soap:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61968

And I want to make some too! After all, Christmas is only 350 something days away! I thought that it might be a good idea to make soap with an FO that will turn it VERY VERY dark brown, and then bump it over into black with a small amount of color, vs trying to turn a white soap black.

What FOs do you love that discolor VERY dark? I may go with MO Vanilla Milk, though the Nurture version (vanilla cream) doesn't appear to discolor very dark in their photos.

I have observed that gelling, or even OP, seems to really increase the discoloration of some FOs, so it needs to be an FO that stands up to high temps. For example, Fragrance Buddy Blackberry Jam Butter Cookie discolored VERY dark for me, but the scent just isn't nearly as good as OOB.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2329 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post

What FOs do you love that discolor VERY dark? I may go with MO Vanilla Milk, though the Nurture version (vanilla cream) doesn't appear to discolor very dark in their photos.
I noticed that too...MO Vanilla Milk discolors very dark brown for me, and I do gel my soaps. If Nurture's Vanilla Cream smells even close to Vanilla Milk, less discoloring would be a plus as far as I'm concerned.

If I remember correctly, BB Espresso discolored quite dark brown for me - darker than the medium brown they have pictured.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #3
CTAnton

Liked 472 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 615

Peak's Black Canyon came out dark brown for me....for the men folk in your life deserving coal...

Old 01-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #4
BattleGnome

Liked 721 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 899

I second the BB Espresso. I'll also note that I've had good results using ac for color but I have yet to use any black mica.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
mx6inpenn

Liked 569 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 131

NG's vanilla bean is quite dark for me. I don't know how dark dragons blood actually is since I added AC, but from what I've seen, most of them are fairly dark as well. If you want a holiday scent, I think I opted not to get several different ones from NG because the discolored a lot.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #6
Obsidian

Liked 4673 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 121

BB rich dark chocolate is the darkest I've used. Its a rich, sweet chocolate with vanilla undertones, yummy.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:03 AM   #7
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7907 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 16635

WSP Warm vanilla sugar is my darkest thus far. But I just soaped with some Dragon's Blood from them, so we will see.
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. Luke 2:10-14

Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 AM   #8
snappyllama
Supporting Member

Liked 2931 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 2425

Like Obsidian, BB rich Dark Chocolate is also my darkest - it really goes to a nice chocolate color. MO Vanilla Milk went pretty dark too. Also, WSP Vanilla Oak - those are all pretty in the dark chocolate color range.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
joellcox
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BB Vanilla Select becomes very dark brown. But ditto on the BB Rich Dark Chocolate. It looks like a Hershey bar.