~*~ SMF February 2017 Challenge - Ebru Soaps! ~*~
~ February 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum > My Creamy Cocoa/Shea GLS Tutorial

Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #111
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9029 Times on 4175 Posts
Likes Given: 4132

I personally would not use citric acid in liquid soap, even with the extra lye needed for the citrate reaction. The reason why I say that is the citric acid can really mess up liquid soap if the balance between the acid and the NaOH is even a little off. Bar soap can tolerate a bit of imbalance, but liquid soap is very, very particular. Just try it plain -- it will still make good soap! All but the last of my liquid soap batches have not had EDTA, and they have worked out fine.

I know IL and Susie use sodium lactate when diluting their liquid soap, but I tried it only once and otherwise have not used it. I'm rather absent minded sometimes. I've had the best of intentions to use SL more, but I've simply been forgetful and have survived diluting my LS without it. So I guess what I'm trying to say is sodium lactate is nice but not essential.

People Like This 
Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #112
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 5512 Times on 2896 Posts
Likes Given: 3759

Shahtura- no worries. The Tetrasodium EDTA and the sodium lactate are not absolute necessities in this recipe- you can make the soap without them- but since the type of each that I use in this recipe are in solution form and make up part of my total liquid /water amount when diluting the paste, if you choose to leave them out, you may find that you'll have to increase the percentage of your dilution water a little bit in order to compensate for their absence (in order to get the same kind of consistency that I am able to get in my finished soap).

In regards to the meadowfoam seed oil, you can certainly use a different liquid oil in its place if you wish. If you have access to almond oil or jojoba oil or avocado oil, any of those would work great.

IrishLass

Shahtura Likes This 
Old 09-19-2016, 02:03 PM   #113
Shahtura

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Shahtura- no worries. The Tetrasodium EDTA and the sodium lactate are not absolute necessities in this recipe- you can make the soap without them- but since the type of each that I use in this recipe are in solution form and make up part of my total liquid /water amount when diluting the paste, if you choose to leave them out, you may find that you'll have to increase the percentage of your dilution water a little bit in order to compensate for their absence (in order to get the same kind of consistency that I am able to get in my finished soap).

In regards to the meadowfoam seed oil, you can certainly use a different liquid oil in its place if you wish. If you have access to almond oil or jojoba oil or avocado oil, any of those would work great.

IrishLass
Thanks DeeAnna and IrishLass.

I will skip the SL and EDTA for this time. I think that sweet almond oil is the most accessible for me.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 AM   #114
Misschief

Liked 582 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 894

I made this again today, with the easier method. I decided to make it with my almost 8 y.o. grandson who is fascinated by anything science-y. Two parts made him almost giddy with excitement... the flying bubbles and testing with phenolphthalein. He thought both were AWESOME!!!

This batch smells way better than the first couple of batches I made and it was SO easy! It took a grand total of about 18 minutes to go from liquid to gel. Now that it has cooled, it's in the fridge waiting to be diluted. That will happen early in the new year. I have to say thank you, IL, DeeAnna, and all you math and science geeks. I find it all fascinating but the math involved sometimes makes my head spin.
People Like This 
Old 12-28-2016, 03:47 AM   #115
CaraBou
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1725

I'm glad this got bumped. I've been meaning to say I really like the recipe and appreciate IL for sharing it. It's great to have a handmade liquid soap at the sink for anyone to use
People Like This 
Old 01-10-2017, 01:32 AM   #116
PlumCrzy
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This weekend I made your creamy cocoa/Shea GLS - my first ever LS. And it came out wonderfully! I'm very happy you provided such a detailed tutorial. One question- this is the first time I've ever used cocoa butter and the half of the GLS that I left unscented has a very slight cocoa butter smell. Is that to be expected?
Susie Likes This 
Old 01-10-2017, 04:38 AM   #117
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6352 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 13568

Not IrishLass, but yes, it is normal. Especially if you have a sensitive nose like me.