Etsy Shop Critiques?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I might mention that $6 is much to expensive for a 2.3 oz bar of soap unless it is made of gold

I was thinking the same thing but again I wasn't sure how the cost was figured.

Last month I went to at least 4-5 craft fairs, I looked at every homemade soap booth I could find at all of them and I bought from each one. I didn't pay over $4 for any of the soap I bought and they were all at least 4oz bars.
One vendor was selling her soaps for $3 for a 4.5 oz bar and I thought that was pretty cheap. She has a web site, check her out so you can see what she sells. http://www.soapguildstores.com/Bubb...tegoryID=4718&CategoryName=Cold+Process+Soaps

Anyway, she either gets a hell of a deal on her supplies or she isn't figuring correctly but I do see this kind of pricing a lot locally and online.

I was thinking the same thing but again I wasn't sure how the cost was figured.

Last month I went to at least 4-5 craft fairs, I looked at every homemade soap booth I could find at all of them and I bought from each one. I didn't pay over $4 for any of the soap I bought and they were all at least 4oz bars.
One vendor was selling her soaps for $3 for a 4.5 oz bar and I thought that was pretty cheap. She has a web site, check her out so you can see what she sells. http://www.soapguildstores.com/Bubb...tegoryID=4718&CategoryName=Cold+Process+Soaps

Anyway, she either gets a hell of a deal on her supplies or she isn't figuring correctly but I do see this kind of pricing a lot locally and online.

Just had a look, but I wouldn't use her as a good example (or even a legal one!) I have to say.

Just had a look, but I wouldn't use her as a good example (or even a legal one!) I have to say.

Oh my, I agree. I checked out her site and there's nothing listed as to ingredients etc....I wouldn't purchase from her at all. I agree that 6.00 is a bit much for 2.3 or even 3.3 oz bars. Mine are between 5-5.5 and I sell them for 5.50 and they sell retail for 6.99 at the couple stores that carry them. I know different areas can price differently so it may vary on where you live as well.

I agree that 6.00 is a bit much for 2.3 or even 3.3 oz bars. Mine are between 5-5.5 and I sell them for 5.50 and they sell retail for 6.99 at the couple stores that carry them. I know different areas can price differently so it may vary on where you live as well.

I addressed my holiday-themed soap pricing in a prior post, but I feel like I need to clarify something about the 2.3 oz. figure that is being brought up. The 2.3 oz. soap on my site is sold for $6 as a "Guest Soap Duo Set." In other words (and as it's listed in the item description), "This listing is for a set of two bars, each weighing at least 2.3 oz (weight vary, as the soaps are cut by hand)." The listing is for (2) bars of guest soap, EACH weighing AT LEAST 2.3 oz. The customer receives at least 4.6 oz. of soap for the $6 price.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/208525456/handmade-jasmine-guest-soap-duo-set?

I'm sorry but I was looking at the Pumpkin Spice that said 2.3 oz.... That doesn't state as a duo that I read. But you are certainly free to charge whatever your market can withstand. I was just stating my point of view. :smile:

Oh my, I agree. I checked out her site and there's nothing listed as to ingredients etc....I wouldn't purchase from her at all.

The ingredients are listed on the pkging on each soap. The ingredients are also listed on the web site at the top of each page of different soap types.

I'm sorry but I was looking at the Pumpkin Spice that said 2.3 oz.... That doesn't state as a duo that I read. But you are certainly free to charge whatever your market can withstand. I was just stating my point of view. :smile:

Thanks, Shari. :)

I made my holiday-themed bars on the small-side on purpose. My thought process was that they are limited edition scents, and I also feel that customers will probably appreciate those scents for a shorter period of time than some of the tried-and-true scents (like lavender or oatmeal honey). As a consumer, I know that the Christmas scents kind of start grating on me around mid-January! LOL I also have a 20% off promo code out there for the holidays on my FB page (where all of my customers have come from so far), so the end price ends up being $4.80.

You are certainly free to charge what you like. As I said if your market can handle it more power to you. 4.80 for 2.3 oz is still more than I could get here. Good Luck to you! Hope you sell a lot.

Honestly, even if I bought a special holiday soap, I'd still expect it to be the same size as other things, especially if I'm paying the same price. You're charging $6 for a 2.3 oz bar just because it has a special scent, but most sellers charge that much for a 4-5+ oz bar with the same limited edition scent. I personally think it's entirely too much unless there are some super expensive ingredients (argan, kokum, emu, etc.). I suggest you calculate out the cost like TEG suggested to come up with a more marketable price.

I have no problem with sellers pricing high. Not all soaps are created equally even if the cost of ingredients start out the same. I have issues with sellers underpricing which screws everyone up. But if you can sell a bar for 7,8,9 even 10 bucks and people want to buy it.. More power to Ya! Good luck with your new business :)

I have no problem with sellers pricing high. Not all soaps are created equally even if the cost of ingredients start out the same. I have issues with sellers underpricing which screws everyone up. But if you can sell a bar for 7,8,9 even 10 bucks and people want to buy it.. More power to Ya! Good luck with your new business :)

exactly, Tania! one of my pet peeves is sellers underpricing, and sadly, there seems to be quite a lot where i am. one seller (who shall not be named) sells her soaps so cheap, a few of us local soapers are totally dumbfounded as to how she can afford this. imported colorants and FOs from BB are not cheap, with the high shipping/customs and all. if her soaps are single oil, unscented, basic ones, i won't comment, but they are not.

---------------

Craig: well said!

exactly, Tania! one of my pet peeves is sellers underpricing, and sadly, there seems to be quite a lot where i am. one seller (who shall not be named) sells her soaps so cheap, a few of us local soapers are totally dumbfounded as to how she can afford this. imported colorants and FOs from BB are not cheap, with the high shipping/customs and all. if her soaps are single oil, unscented, basic ones, i won't comment, but they are not.

---------------

Craig: well said!

Just a thought. It seems that people may do this to build a fanbase and temporarily drive competition away. It may also be that they don't crunch numbers and see next to nothing profit margins which is turbo-lame status.:thumbdown:

Your products are levels above the bottomfeeder competition. The market syphoning parasites' only strategy to lure in customers is to sell a cheap product for cheap because they cannot contend with your product quality, ideas, innovation and even packaging. Your lucky too, that you have a range of knowledge in making different types of products as opposed to being limited to soap batches only. You'll do well no matter what. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back