Favorite lotion bases

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkscents

Reaction score
I don't see many recent comments on favorite bases for lotion. There are so many available!

Do you have a favorite that you just add FO to?

I think a lot of people who make their lotions make them from scratch rather than a base - again, not being snobby there, but for many the point is that total control that one has using an own made lotion vs using a base. It's not to say that bases can't be great, but just trying to shed some light on why pre-made bases might not get so much discussion here whereas as the raw ingredients and processes do get talked about a lot.

That's because the majority of folks here make their own I think. Someone may pipe in with some ideas though.

Got interrupted before I could post. I agree with TEG though.

Before I started making my own, I used to use the lotion base from BitterCreekNorth. It was nice enough, but nothing compares to making your own.

LotionCrafter's makes things very easy if you want to try your hand at making your own. They sell 'try it' kits that come with everything you need (including instructions) to make 33 oz. of finished lotion...well, everything except for the scent, that is. Their Body Butter Bliss was my favorite kit, and has now become my go-to lotion of choice to make. The complete recipe for it is on their website in case you want to make larger or smaller batches of it (or tweak it if you desire).

IrishLass :)

I don't see many recent comments on favorite bases for lotion. There are so many available!

Do you have a favorite that you just add FO to?

It is just so easy to make your own from scratch.

Water, oils, e-wax, preservative, fragrance, a thickener. That is all you need for a simple lotion.

I have been curious about the same thing and know a lot of "handcrafted" lotions being sold are made from bases with just fragrance added - I always ask when I see them. I haven't tried lotions of any kind yet because I'm somewhat concerned about the preservative and liability issues if I would decide to sell them along with my soap. I did read someplace that before lotions are sold they should be lab tested which I understand costs quite a bit and that one test isn't enough, each batch should be tested. Sounds impossible, but I do worry when water/oils are mixed together. Am I being silly?

I did read someplace that before lotions are sold they should be lab tested which I understand costs quite a bit and that one test isn't enough, each batch should be tested. Sounds impossible, but I do worry when water/oils are mixed together. Am I being silly?

Nope, you're not being silly at all. I'm not in business with my B&B creations, but if I were, lotions would definitely not be a part of it. I make them just for myself and my sis, unlike my soap, which I have no qualms about gifting to all my family and friends.

IrishLass :)

The preservative issue does make lotions that bit more complicated! My understanding is that if you want to keep a lotion beyond a couple of weeks you must use an appropriate preservative - your supplier would be able to advise you on usage rates as each one varies. In terms of selling, in the EU a lotion not only needs a safety assessment (as do all cosmetics including soaps) but a stability test which takes place in a lab. I don't know anything about the rules outside the EU I'm afraid but you certainly are right to be cautious about selling products which can grow bacteria.

Although I am in my CP obsessed phase, HP and lotion making are on my next-project list. For now, I have used a few lotion bases from different places and so far my favorite has been WSP's goat milk and honey. I usually add a small bit of mango or kokum butter to mine b/c my skin is so dry, but I still don't like the feel of super greasy lotions. I don't use this one on my face though, too heavy, I use a couple of the other WSP bases for that.

Also WSP has a lotion selection package that includes all of their oils/body butters, I think. It was not super cheap, but I thought it was worth it to explore the differences, I am glad that I bought it.

Last edited:
I haven't tried lotions of any kind yet because I'm somewhat concerned about the preservative and liability issues if I would decide to sell them along with my soap. I did read someplace that before lotions are sold they should be lab tested which I understand costs quite a bit and that one test isn't enough, each batch should be tested. Sounds impossible, but I do worry when water/oils are mixed together. Am I being silly?

Actually it is not necessarily expensive: see www.sagescript.com/microbiology

I feel confident using a tried and tested preservative like Optiphen ND at the recommended rate but if I switch to a more natural system like Leucidal I will get my lotion tested.

Last edited:
Actually it is not necessarily expensive: see www.sagescript.com/microbiology

I feel confident using a tried and tested preservative like Optiphen ND at the recommended rate but if I switch to a more natural system like Leucidal I will get my lotion tested.

That's not bad at all for sure. I like making my lotion but have no interest in selling it. I have too many products already and it's difficult enough to keep up with those on top of working full time. I do however, have body butter which is butters and oils only.

I think a lot of people who make their lotions make them from scratch rather than a base - again, not being snobby there, but for many the point is that total control that one has using an own made lotion vs using a base. It's not to say that bases can't be great, but just trying to shed some light on why pre-made bases might not get so much discussion here whereas as the raw ingredients and processes do get talked about a lot.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts! I want to be able to offer a simple scented lotion to go with my soaps. I've made lotion some years ago and it was great fun. I'll probably still make some for myself, but I don't want to make my own for selling.

I purchased MMS Lotion Base, Paraben Free. I've used their base before and I've purchased many things from them thru the years. Their Bitter Orange Orchid FO is one of my absolute favorites.

Latest posts

Back