honey ip balm? pipe dream?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaerwen

Reaction score
So last night at 3 am it came to... lip balm with honey and beeswax.... I pulled a recipe offline somewhere and made 4 tubes...threw them in the freezer for a short time... two separated. The honey was not willing to be worked in. I cooled it a bit, whisked like crazy.
I used beeswax, honey and almond oil.
I have it in my mind that Id like to use sugar too.... for a sweet balm.

Are there tricks or ways to do this? Any thoughts? Or am I out to lunch?

1) why would you need to add sugar to a lip balm contains honey?

2) honey is a water based ingredient and needs an emulsifier to blend properly with an oil base. I would also say you need a preservative to keep away nasties.

1) I don't have a particular reason, just wanted it to be sweet:grin:
thanks an emulsifier makes sense.

Unfortunately, honey and sugar are both water soluble ingredients that will separate out of the mix unless an emulsifier is used. For my balms, I use either utra-fine stevia powder dispersed in coconut oil, or the oil soluble sweetener that MMS sells, called Sugar Baby.

IrishLass :)

I love nuxe reve de miel lip balm, and that has some honey in it.

Only thing is it is one of the ingredients in lesser amounts, I think they use the beeswax as both a base and an emulsefier (I know it really isn't, but like the diy lotion recipes of old used it).
The balm is mostly beeswax and hard oils and some honey, perhaps you can alter the amount of ingredients to copy that and see how that goes? Also no need for sugar when you already have honey. Best of luck with this!

Back