Summer Lip Balm`- Beeswax Percentage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuska

Reaction score
Happy Easter everyone. For those of you who make lip balm for summer use, what percentage do you use that passes your pocket test? My current recipe calls for 30%.

Thanks,
Ken

Mine is 30% before adding any flavor oils. The rest is 30% butters, and 40% liquid oils.
It could stand to be a smidge harder in the summer, but for the most part I love it, so am not changing it, lol.

The amount of beeswax in my summer formula tends to end up somewhere in the 26-28% range(I don't use a lot of butters, and that changes everything.). Even in the deep south, with high temperatures complicated by high humidity, 30% is just too high. I usually start with 25% beeswax and add until it passes the pocket test.

The amount of beeswax in my summer formula tends to end up somewhere in the 26-28% range(I don't use a lot of butters, and that changes everything.). Even in the deep south, with high temperatures complicated by high humidity, 30% is just too high. I usually start with 25% beeswax and add until it passes the pocket test.

Thanks Susie, that's helpful. I'm thinking that if I used a fairly high amount of hard butter then I could get away with using less beeswax, which I know can be draggy.

I'm wondering if any natural lip balm formula can survive a hot mailbox though ?

The mailbox issue would be my biggest concern, as you then also have the possibility of the balm being melted and those butters going grainy again. You may want to get a small amount of candelilla wax to try, as pamielynn suggested. There is a solution out there, I just don't have it at my fingertips. Sorry I can't help more.

Back